Broken Bay Blue spot Flatties

Pickles

I had a few newbie young blokes (ex-students) ask me to take them out, so decided to try Broken Bay for some flathead off shore, given the conditions were near perfect. What better way to get young fellas (or girls) interested in fishing, than filling the live bait tank with Yakkas and slimies and then get some prime eating Flathead.

Made a BIG mistake and didn’t get to the ramp until 6am and ParsleyBay was packed - must have been a comp on as there were hardly any parking places and boats everywhere. 

Once we got to the bait grounds it didn’t take long to get 30-40 Yakkas and then head out to the 50m mark. We got a good feed of Flatties, but as usual ittookan hour or so of shifting drifts to locate the bigger fish. When we did we were getting 2 or 3 over 40cm on every drift, the biggest going 60cm. We kept 8 fish and others released. Gives me a good excuse to go fishing again on Monday and Tuesday as Mrs Pickles is back to work (teaching) and spending Sunday with the family and my church family.

4F061881-EDE7-4B3A-96DA-2470134E4B8A.jpeg

F116A308-6E37-4BC1-998F-8AFD5EE03287.jpeg

2784B2BA-A2ED-42C4-A2F8-78F6C022B7CA.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Always nice to get a good feed of blue spots, how was the fog Bob when you were running out from the ramp to broken bay, the reason I ask is because Brisbane waters all the way to almost Avoca beach was almost like pea soup around 5:30am cheers

Big Neil - looking forward to catching up, plenty of fish around mate, we should be able to freeze some down for you take back - only a bit over a week to go till you can travel up

ZMK - wish could have got out Zoran  how did you go on the fish?
(I’ve got a big bag of weights -50kg for the deep drop weights when we catch up).

61 Crusher - yep fog was thick and hung around the headland till about 9.30, but clear offshore. - Very thankful for GPS🙂

• Like 1

Oh wow Bob! Definitely a rookie error leaving that late. Same up here mate, boats everywhere and we have a ramp closed too 😩😩

You still managed to get out there and slay em so well done champ! 
Don’t think you’ll be getting out on the ocean Monday or Tuesday. Doesn’t look great! 

cheers scratchie!!!

Now that the lock down has eased the ramps are silly busy at weekends. Even when I went out last Monday there were a lot more trailers than there have been over the last couple of months. Looks like I'll be back to avoiding weekends and focus on weekday fishing when most people have to work.  🙂

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Oh wow Bob! Definitely a rookie error leaving that late. Same up here mate, boats everywhere and we have a ramp closed too 😩😩

You still managed to get out there and slay em so well done champ! 
Don’t think you’ll be getting out on the ocean Monday or Tuesday. Doesn’t look great! 

cheers scratchie!!!

Too right Jeff-  back in the river Mon & Tues

10 hours ago, XD351 said:

I think it was seabees club comp .

I was going to go up there on Saturday but thought better of it - think I will go mid week instead !

Mid week always the preferred option for me, but young blokes only had Saturdays free.