Better late than never

61 crusher

Well after being busy working covid etc I hadn’t been on fishraider for quite a while & managed to forget my password 😖🤪 Do’h, well after getting a spark in my memory & writing it down for future brain fades I thought I’d submit a report from June in case I forget that to 😂

Anyway a guy I’ve gotten  to know through rock fishing needed some plumbing done & looking after him he invited me out on his boat for a fishing session in Pittwater. 

With the spot lock set & burley trail of bread & bonito deployed at his chosen position not far from shore, he put out two floater rigs of garfish on gangs way out the back & set a downrigger a few meters up off the bottom with a squid strip

We got out our bream gear & started fishing down the trail between us we hooked about 18 bream losing a couple of stonkers  as well as having 3 kings taking us for a ride on the silly string (4 & 6lb braid & 8lb leader) two of them didn’t even know they were hooked. I ended up with the biggest bream going 42cm & we kept 9 in total 

16538CD3-6ED8-4189-9C99-9D55C8964DC4.thumb.jpeg.3a7379b1b48cec76ffa4e337a061d647.jpeg
At one stage while looking out the back a sea eagle swooped down & picked up my surface bait fortunately it flew towards the boat & I frantically wound the slack up & managed to pull the bait out of its talons as it flew past the boat without hooking up 

The bream on several occasions went quite for a bit due to a kingy being in the vicinity, neither of the surface baits got touched but typically while eating a sandwich the rod beside me attached to the down rigger buckles over & with about 10kg+ drag the fight wasn’t long but intense, firstly trying to clear the outboard leg & the 4 rods out the back & doing two & a half laps around the boat & then deciding to head for structure, the electric wasn’t going forward or up to the task of getting us into clean water & as he fired up the outboard it bumped against the shallow rocks but somehow we managed to stay connected & get the kingy onboard.

I don’t know weather the adrenaline, heart in mouth fight on 10kg drag, holding my breath or me getting on but my heart was still going 15 minutes later & I’m guessing the fight only lasted 8 to 12 minutes. The kingy came in at 94cm & a new PB beat my last one by 5cm

• Like 8

Great report ‘crusher, looove hearing reports about getting smoked by Kingies and even better to hear of them coming. 94cm is a really good fish in calm water and a 42cm bream is a beauty- well done. I

Looking at the pic (love that Big King grin) - If you had your rod in the “Scotty” style, plastic rod holder when that Kingie hit, you were blessed indeed to not loose the lot overboard. I used to use them and after having 2 snap off and rocket away (loosing a 500 Thunnus and Terez outfit to king Neptune), I swapped too Stainless steel reinforced insert holders - even then one of them was bent by a big king.

haven’t fished Pittwater much, but I’m told it holds some big Kingies.

Edited by Pickles

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report ‘crusher, looove hearing reports about getting smoked by Kingies and even better to hear of them coming. 94cm is a really good fish in calm water and a 42cm bream is a beauty- well done. I

Looking at the pic (love that Big King grin) - If you had your rod in the “Scotty” style, plastic rod holder when that Kingie hit, you were blessed indeed to not loose the lot overboard

Definitely gave me a great fight Bob,never gave me a chance to settle in had to stay one step ahead, after we boated the kingy it didn’t sink in straight away & felt surreal, regarding the rod it was in a welded gunnel holder, have heard of to many losses including one of the Scotty rigger going overboard 

10 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a great report Dieter! Good to see you back. Congrats on the PB. That always makes for a great session.

Thanks mate we tried down rigging around some moorings & some structure in the hope of getting another, nonetheless both of us were quite happy with the session 

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice report mate, well done on the king.

Nothing like a fight like that to get the heart pumping :thumbup:

Thanks Adrian, I’ve had some adrenaline pumping battles with other fish but never that intense 

• Like 1