Port Hacking 23/10

Mass

Went out today on the Hacking for the first time after many months. After spending an hour pumping nippers, headed off for a fish. I wasn't high on expectation as I  thought it would still be a bit too early in the season for a decent catch. Ended up being s solid catch with a massive Leatherjacket, 35cm Bream and a nice haul of 9 Whiting to 40cm being the highlights of the catch. As the weather warms up, I am sure the quantity will increase. 

20211023_153508.jpg

• Like 16

Stop taking yowies fish.😂😂Legend has it the man catches fish with his hard bare teeth all year round even in the extremes of weather.No one has seen him.Just his fishing reports but he does exist.

Great haul.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Stop taking yowies fish.😂😂Legend has it the man catches fish with his hard bare teeth all year round even in the extremes of weather.No one has seen him.Just his fishing reports but he does exist.

Great haul.

Not with my teeth, but I have caught a few fish with my bare hands, including 2 John Dory that swam into shallow water chasing little fish. 🤣 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Not with my teeth, but I have caught a few fish with my bare hands, including 2 John Dory that swam into shallow water chasing little fish. 🤣 

Now you're bragging.Go away.🤣😂

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 2:47 PM, Yowie said:

Hey yowie,

Speaking of John Dory, Always wanted to give them a go - probably too late in the season now. Maybe next winter. 

was reading one of wazas stories about a heavy sinker rig,  fishing live bait about half a meter off the bottom.

Thinking Gunnamatta & Lilly Pilly.

Would I try fishing the drop offs, in the deep water or around the moored boats? Ie. what sort of terrain have you caught them in the past.

and what months?

Any tips appreciated 

Edited by Larkin

5 hours ago, Larkin said:

Hey yowie,

Speaking of John Dory, Always wanted to give them a go - probably too late in the season now. Maybe next winter. 

was reading one of wazas stories about a heavy sinker rig,  fishing live bait about half a meter off the bottom.

Thinking Gunnamatta & Lilly Pilly.

Would I try fishing the drop offs, in the deep water or around the moored boats? Ie. what sort of terrain have you caught them in the past.

and what months?

Any tips appreciated 

I have not caught John Dory for a long time (have not specifically fished for them in recent years) but when I did, I fished Gunnamatta Bay, Burraneer Bay, Dolans Bay, South West Arm mainly, and also Yowie Bay and some were up in North West Arm. 

Dory will eat any small fish. Those I caught in Gunnamatta quite often had small whiting in their stomachs, those in South West Arm had small blackfish. Where the food is, the dory will be sneaking around looking for something to eat. I have caught a couple of dead baits sitting on the bottom while fishing for something else, even a squid head.

Usually area where there is not a strong current flow is best. A small live fish about a metre off the bottom, with a mid sized ball sinker above. I have caught them in shallow water about 3 metres deep, and deeper. 

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

I have not caught John Dory for a long time (have not specifically fished for them in recent years) but when I did, I fished Gunnamatta Bay, Burraneer Bay, Dolans Bay, South West Arm mainly, and also Yowie Bay and some were up in North West Arm. 

Dory will eat any small fish. Those I caught in Gunnamatta quite often had small whiting in their stomachs, those in South West Arm had small blackfish. Where the food is, the dory will be sneaking around looking for something to eat. I have caught a couple of dead baits sitting on the bottom while fishing for something else, even a squid head.

Usually area where there is not a strong current flow is best. A small live fish about a metre off the bottom, with a mid sized ball sinker above. I have caught them in shallow water about 3 metres deep, and deeper. 

Cheers yowie,

thats really helpful - gives me a few ideas on areas to try.

I think from what I’ve been hearing the placement of the livie off the bottom is important and that the water is still - preferably on high tide.
think I’ve missed the season this year, but next year as soon as the cold weather hits, will be giving it a go.

👍

• Like 1