Newbie Fishing Questions

HawkesburyParadise

Hi Guys,

I went fishing last Friday afternoon and this was was my 2nd time out. Results were nil but you live and learn.

I went to bobbin head and was targeting fish(brim, flathead, anything really) near structures. The tide was outgoing, high tide at 11.16 and I was fishing from 12.30. There's a couple of short bridges in Bobbin Head where I was throwing the line near. My diced chicken kept being taken and I would feel slight bites but no hooks at all. I wanted to ask a few questions. 

- Are small J hooks enough to catch fish? Biggers hooks for bigger fish?

- Sinkers - I was using a small ball sinker, are they needed in this situation? My line seemed to be pushing towards the shore and I was always worried about snagging so pulled it out early many times.

- Is it as simple as waiting til the fish takes the hook or should I be setting the hook?

It was still a great time out. The only concerning this being shooing the seagulls away from my bait. 

Cheers

HP

Doesnt sound like youre doing something wrong, but in locations inland a bit, you could try without a sinker. Doesnt sound like you need to cast far anyways. Without the sinker allows your baited hook to appear more natural with the flow and when fish takes the bait. 

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

as for bait , maybe take a small packet of frozen bait prawns along as well, and maybe some salted pilchards used in pieces, plus the chicken. also try good old bread rolled tight into a ball and squashed on the hook. Maybe even try a float line, try to estimate the water depth and run the leader off the bottom depth, so if its 2m deep, try leader under float of 1.5m or 1m.

How long should the leader be? I assume the sinker sits on the bottom and the bait and leader just float?

7 minutes ago, motiondave said:

I use plastics/lures and bait as I never know what the fish will be interested in, and thats either from boat and shore line. Ive had fish smash bait lines one day and not lures, and another day , Ive had fish smash lures and not bait. Go figure. 

Dont panic, its only your second time out so just try a few things. 
Is Bobbin head your most local spot? Can you travel around Sydney more?

Id suggest go look for this book as its only $10 and has heaps of spots plus tips for lines, bait, rods, etc.

Do you generally graduate from bait to lures or can I get into lures straightaway? I've heard all about soft plastics and watching videos it seems you throw out the lure and reel it in slowly for a bite?

Bobbin head and Berowra waters are the quickest to get to. However, I can also get to parts of the harbour within 30mins as well, especially the northern side of the harbour. I've read about Blacktwattle bay here for Brim. I want to fish at Milsons point someday, brings back memories of drinking with the mates watching the fishermen going about their business years ago. 

Thanks for the book. Will def get it. 

57 minutes ago, HawkesburyParadise said:

Do you generally graduate from bait to lures or can I get into lures straightaway? I've heard all about soft plastics and watching videos it seems you throw out the lure and reel it in slowly for a bite?

Bobbin head and Berowra waters are the quickest to get to. However, I can also get to parts of the harbour within 30mins as well, especially the northern side of the harbour. I've read about Blacktwattle bay here for Brim. I want to fish at Milsons point someday, brings back memories of drinking with the mates watching the fishermen going about their business years ago. 

Thanks for the book. Will def get it. 

If you can get down to Berowra easily, fishing on a high tide from the park on the western side can turn up garfish, mullet and bream on cheap white bread on a high tide. Fish the bread under a float (what Dave has suggested will do) on a size 6-10 hook. Good fun - want to get there soon myself.

• Thanks 1

Check out the ARTICLES section here https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/99-articles/

There are lots of articles written by fishraiders who are experts and experienced

Below are some fishing guide books that DPI produced. Download a pdf

Local Fishing Guides https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/info

116282518_1396720280524662_3695627736957545263_o.jpg.5cc3e93af4f3dd0635a9979ab63e3b76.jpg