Another day on the flathead

Pickles

My buddy Steve had one day before “back to work on Tuesday”, so we decided that if we could get a leave pass from the women folk we would go fishing. Being married just gets better and better - we both got a leave pass and we’re allowed out. After the crowds at the boat ramp at Parsley Bay on Saturday, I was keen for the mid-week peace and quiet of the upper Hawkesbury - sound of Bell birds, Sea eagles and ducks landing on the water and an occasional trawler passing at idle speed.

We were rewarded with some early Bass, then down river for Flatties and bream. Right on the turn of the runout tide, my light 6lb flathead outfit went screaming and I was praying the line would hold as I was dreaming of a big jewie (had live prawns for bait). After 15 minutes of loosing line / gaining line I was disappointed with a very large ray 😞.

We ended the day with Steve boating a 45cm bream - a real stonker. Unlike myself, he loves bream (I don’t rate them very highly and would gladly swap all the bream I catch for a flathead).

No traffic on the way home, we were washed up and cleaned up by 1.30pm and a beautiful meal for flathead fillets for tea.

8A883A63-7E25-4B97-B95B-D15F508D5EF4.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 18

12 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Nice bream and flatties there Pickles!

Do you usually catch your own prawns or go to a good tackle store?

I usually get the prawns off a buddy who owns a prawn trawler, but they are happy to sell off the trawler 

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2021 at 7:48 AM, BigHorse said:

Nice bream and flatties there Pickles!

Do you usually catch your own prawns or go to a good tackle store?

(Just learned how to “reply”) I usually get my prawns live from the trawler operators on the river (I know most of them) They are happy to sell direct to fisho’s provided you do t approach whilst they are trawling. If you wait till they stop to sort the catch, they will willingly sell to you. If you put $20 in the bottom of a bucket and hand it over, you’ll be surprised at how generous they are.