Alot of loose line whole casting

Denisfisho

On a dry streak at the moment so taking the time to address errors I've been making.

The major thing at the moment is whenever I cast I get good distance but my line is always loose after the cast in that I cast 30m for example but 40m of braid came out.

Is this a typical mistake with an easy fix ?

I also have a side question. Would fishing with sand prawns give better hookups rates for bream,Flathead and whiting compared to sp lures (lake Illawarra)

I've been waking 5am every Saturday to fish lake Illawarra and don't think I've even had a bite yet to be honest. It's abit depressing

Edited by Denisfisho
Typos

On the the prawns vs sps topic, if you have prawns you’ll generally attract some bites if there are fish in the area but you will find it hard to sort the small fish from the big ones. In the right situations, lures are just as effective on bait on bream and flathead. Whiting on lures I find a bit harder work but maybe I just haven’t cracked the code yet.

If you have had several sessions without a bite, I’d say change something. Try a new spot, try a different bait or lure or a different time of day. Make sure you are fishing as light as possible from a sinker and line perspective.

• Thanks 1

On a spin reel, if its windy, the wind pulls out extra line after the lure/bait hits the water. Just need to close your bail quick enough and then wind some line back, I like to hold the line up a little to add a little tension.

I am unsure what other way there is for 40m line coming out of a 30m cast on a spin reel. Over spooled wont throw out extra line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use a bit of muscle spooling up-braid works best on a spinning reel if its put onto the reel with A LOT of tension , i use a Bees Knees spooler but used to sppol line onto an old reel that i had and then wind it onto the actual reel under 3-4kgs of drag pressure for heavier braid and 1.5-2kg for the lighter stuff-never had a wind knot since