Deerubbin (Hawkesbury river) fires for Magura (Bass)

Pickles

Buddy Peter (not a ‘Raider - yet) and I caught up for a fish on our regular Tuesday fortnight fishing trip - the first one in 15 weeks.

The weather prediction for Tuesday was strong winds and big seas, so we decided to fish in my country on Hawkesbury river (or to give it traditional name) “Derrubbin”. Rather ironic as Peter hit a deer on West Portland rd on the way to the boat ramp and one stage we thought we might be having venison steaks and flathead fillets for tea. Fortunately there was no damage to the Hilux (deer bounded away).

The tide was excellent- outgoing till 8.30 then incoming till 2.30pm. I hailed down one of the trawler operators who I’ve known for nearly 40 years and filled up the live bait tank with live prawns.

We headed down towards Leetsvale and fished the bumps, edges and shallow water for only 2 flathead and 2 bream. I decided to have a flick for (magura) Bass and on the way back we made a few stops to toss at the weed beds in deep water and shaggy structure. The Bass (magura) were on fire and we boated 11, the largest going a touch over 45cm (released) and dropped a lot more.

I’ve had the experience before, when just before a southerly, the fish go nuts and they smack everything that hits the water. It was a slow day on the Flatties, but unforgettable Bass session. (All photos were of different fish - gives an idea of the consistency of their health, size and how the river has recovered since the floods)

E04A0355-6223-4354-B8BB-F1C762BE54B3.jpeg

182D4BC2-AD85-44EC-A743-69404CFBC984.jpeg

B7CE44FC-B41C-49E2-98A5-EF64D2380EDB.jpeg

FCC3041C-5CAE-4FA7-A34A-38D041DCB2D1.jpeg

5F14D2F8-DB4F-4110-B0C6-D0F8BE4E7F14.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Heading change
  • Like 16

• Pickles changed the title to Deerubbin (Hawkesbury river) fires for Magura (Bass)

Great write up and photos as always, but please forgive my ignorance . I have never known the term " magura bass " ? could you explain what this is, is it a tern you have created yourself or is it some sort of scientific term used that is uncommon ?. I have heard the term in relation with music but never with fish.

Frank

2 hours ago, frankS said:

Great write up and photos as always, but please forgive my ignorance . I have never known the term " magura bass " ? could you explain what this is, is it a tern you have created yourself or is it some sort of scientific term used that is uncommon ?. I have heard the term in relation with music but never with fish.

Frank

Hi Frank I am Koori (gundungurra mob), “magura” is Darug nation word for bass.

Darug people are custodians of “Hawkesbury” area

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another great effort there Bob.

Do the trawler guys sell from the shore, or only the boat?

I phoned one bloke last year, he said the prawns were slow, then he suffered an leg injury and said he stopped prawning for quite some time.

I am heading to Windsor Toyota Thursday 4th, for a short time warranty repair on my car in the morning, then heading home after that, so would pick up a few if they are available.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Another great effort there Bob.

Do the trawler guys sell from the shore, or only the boat?

I phoned one bloke last year, he said the prawns were slow, then he suffered an leg injury and said he stopped prawning for quite some time.

I am heading to Windsor Toyota Thursday 4th, for a short time warranty repair on my car in the morning, then heading home after that, so would pick up a few if they are available.

Dave.

Hi pDave, if you want to go for a drive to Lower Portland I can give you one of my buddies numbers to ring and swing by his place and pick them up in 400g or 1 kg packets. I always buy them live, use them on the day and chill down whatever I don’t use and freeze for later. Alternatively, if you’re free on the Thursday (4th) we could go for a fish and get some prawns straight off the trawler and have a contact for the future - let me know what you want to do. If it’s fishing,only issue would be you pulling my tinny to Lower Portland ramp - about 20mins from my place at Nth Richmond (Tennyson), about 15mins from Windsor.

let me know your thoughts

Bob

11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hi pDave, if you want to go for a drive to Lower Portland I can give you one of my buddies numbers to ring and swing by his place and pick them up in 400g or 1 kg packets. I always buy them live, use them on the day and chill down whatever I don’t use and freeze for later. Alternatively, if you’re free on the Thursday (4th) we could go for a fish and get some prawns straight off the trawler and have a contact for the future - let me know what you want to do. If it’s fishing,only issue would be you pulling my tinny to Lower Portland ramp - about 20mins from my place at Nth Richmond (Tennyson), about 15mins from Windsor.

let me know your thoughts

Bob

PM sent.

Hi frank, any chance you can pm me details of the trawler? I use to have a like that sells live prawns but I lost his contact, hence, I have yet to find any local bloke, if you have him on Facebook or a contact of some kind. Let me know.

cheers

sam