Shaken, Not Stirred

Berleyguts

“Shaken, not stirred”, you ask? That’s just a lead in to what I thought was going to be a James Bond 007 fishing trip… 0 fish, 0 bites, 7 hours. 😂

I managed to get a leave pass today, even though I’m still trying to sort the garage out after moving into a much smaller home. This was only my 3rd or 4th trip since Covid started and I thought I’d wash the cobwebs off the boat with a trip to Broughton Island. With the Little Beach ramp still closed, Soldiers Point was the go. It’s closer to our new home but quite a long run to the heads. Consequently, I only made the heads at around first light. I couldn’t find slimies at Cabbage Tree, so just grabbed a few yakkas then pointed the bow towards Broughton. Man, it felt good to be back on the water! 😎

Forecast was for a gentle northerly wind, so I set myself up for a north-south drift. The drift was very slow however - only around 0.2 knots and there was no action. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong! I carefully followed Scratchie’s tips, not driving across my drift etc. but I just couldn’t turn a scale. I moved to another spot for a north-south drift but the wind had swung to the south and I had to watch the bommies. After hundreds of casts and still no snapper, I decided to do a flathead drift and try and take home a feed. I couldn’t even catch a flathead! I thought I was going to record a 007 day but I finally managed a 45cm trag, which will be made into my late father-in-law’s special tomato and pineapple fish dish. I also caught on a jig, the biggest slimy mackerel I have ever seen, measuring 36cm! Is there a Fishraider record for slimy mackerel?The slimy, a few yakkas and a couple of dragon snapper (sergeant baker) restocked my bait supply after I’d emptied the freezer when we moved house.

Not a very successful day but geez, it was good to just get out there after so long at home!

682DB779-5D9C-4378-B995-7594F77FDF8F.jpeg

1D26AA52-D31F-4F1F-9725-EBB10AB2FF9F.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 10

At least you were out giving it a go, with a trag for the table. Close to 007, but not quite.  🤣

You can eat the slimies, though a strong fishy taste with the good omega oils. Even the dragon snapper can be eaten, just have to remove the many bones in the fillets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

At least you were out giving it a go, with a trag for the table. Close to 007, but not quite.  🤣

You can eat the slimies, though a strong fishy taste with the good omega oils. Even the dragon snapper can be eaten, just have to remove the many bones in the fillets.

Yes, I don’t mind an oily fish from time to time and I thought about cooking up the slimy… I’ve heard they go alright in the smoker. I no longer have a smoker though (part of the decluttering when we downsized the house). So, bait it is. If I catch another one that size at the right time of year, I’ll bridle it up. 😉

Ohhhhh Bazza! Good to see you get out there and have a go! Sorry to hear it wasn’t successful as you would have liked but I tried my best to help you. Sometimes the fish just ain’t there either! I had a few mates up there that didn’t do so good either. I’m sure your boat would have appreciated you getting it wet! Looks like a cracking morning though! I’ll get you out soon! 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Great report Bazza, pity a donut on snapper 😞. Always good to get out on the water though. I’ve caught really big slimies and had them BBQ with the skin side salted and grilled - they’re pretty good. Smoked tney are even better.