Slimy Mackerel (done)

20 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

the rest fresh or salted for bait

Have never tried salting them. Tried freezing and they turn to a paste.

Does salting really toughen them up? do you then freeze the salted ones (I freeze salted pilchards and it works well)

Are they still good bait when salted?

appreciate your advice,

thanks, dmck

4 minutes ago, dmck said:

Have never tried salting them. Tried freezing and they turn to a paste.

Does salting really toughen them up? do you then freeze the salted ones (I freeze salted pilchards and it works well)

appreciate your advice,

thanks, dmck

I sometimes salt them and freeze them in a vac seal bag. Sometimes I just freeze them (no salt) in a vac seal bag. I don’t find them going too mushy if vac sealed. I keep them on ice in the boat and fillet as I go and pop them on the hook.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:26 PM, dmck said:

appreciate your advice,

Toughens them up but if you don’t over do it with the salt & time on the salt they come up ok& yes you can freeze they do stay pliable. As @Berleyguts suggested cryovacing is the go & keeping cold as needed

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Geez how did I miss this submission?

I will add that and well done

Thanks Donna! Like I said at the time, “No rush!” 😂 It’s not like I’ve been fishing much and I’ve just been browsing the forums to maintain my interest and I was reminded of my last trip (apart from a charter I took for the most expensive flathead fillets ever!). I had some hand surgery recently (trigger finger repair)… hope I can hold a fishing rod soon and get back out there, as I have plenty of time now.  I can now hold a guitar pick and strum a few tunes with my band, so that’s a start. 🙏 😂

• Like 2