Sashimi Silver Trevally

kingie chaser

Hi FR's, went out for a fish in BBay yesterday & while there was not a great deal to report apart from catching a few squire around 25cm mark, a few Taylor that were busting up in big schools which were all returned I did end up catching an legal size silver trevally & as I had always heard how good they were for sashimi but never tried I though I would take it home I have a meal out of it.

I must admit I didn't have many ingredients in the fridge but then again for sashimi you only need 4 really imo, fish, soy, pickled ginger wasabi.

But hey I dont do 4 ingredient food.........ever😂

Decided I was going to have a little play & did 2 different plating styles with the same ingredients.

So ended up making a Trevally tartare out of the belly pieces with tomato, avocado & pickled ginger, cucumber, made a ponzu dressing, had a nori sheet left over from the last time I made sushi & there is the result.

After I took the pictures I realized I was missing a key ingredient which was the wasabi, which I added when devouring 😁

Verdict-Oishii

1357864859_Trevally(2).thumb.jpg.2471e52ddd8077aa5b47da4aa2f83dd0.jpg

766059783_Trevally2(2).thumb.jpg.cc143a3f8d3785387fb816ba9037d80d.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 9

Wow, that looks amazing. Are you a chef? because that's some quality presentation. Even the plate looks appealing. 

May sound weird, but I had yellow fin pike sashimi a few years back after an Asian bloke on the wharf I was fishing on said don't throw it back, good sashimi. Took his word for it and it was actually pretty decent. Besides the slime and the horrid smell, throw it in the freezer for a day and it don't smell then.

Never had trev as sashimi but I do rate them as a eating fish, very underrated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Restyle said:

Wow, that looks amazing. Are you a chef? because that's some quality presentation. Even the plate looks appealing. 

May sound weird, but I had yellow fin pike sashimi a few years back after an Asian bloke on the wharf I was fishing on said don't throw it back, good sashimi. Took his word for it and it was actually pretty decent. Besides the slime and the horrid smell, throw it in the freezer for a day and it don't smell then.

Yes he is a chef and he has a raider Fish Chef badge too 👏

Check out some of @kingie chaser other recipes and pics 😉

9 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

That looks to die for. Yum, well done.

Cheers Isaac, wont be the last time I eat it this way but I also do love to hot smoke fish as well so thats next :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Brendan Monks said:

@kingie chaser Love the way you somehow put together all these different ways to eat fish instead of the standard batter!!! Keen to try trevally sashimi now if I get one as bi-catch 😁👌

Keep them coming! 

Thanks Brendan, my philosophy while putting recipes on FR is mostly about more heathier options/ways to eat fish/seafood over just deep-frying everything & also a bit about food education as well.

And while there is nothing wrong with that fried food is a sometimes food for me with having high cholesterol.

In saying all that other that sometimes showing some dishes we do at work the recipes I put on FR I think are easily reproduced by anyone who can hold a knife & follow some hints.

5 hours ago, Restyle said:

Cheers Restyle, 

I do also occasionally put some more elaborate dishes that we do at work just to show what a bit more technique can achieve.

With all the food shows that have been around for a while like MasterChef I think it highlights that a lot of people want to be able to do a bit more at home now than just fish & chips.

At the end of the day I think its always about testing yourself & learning new skills.

Im a chef by trade but I have learnt to do many other things because when something presents itself I enjoy or want to pursue I like to challenge myself.

3 hours ago, whiskey299 said:

Trevally sashimi is really nice, the larger the fish, the more fat content it has and you notice it when cutting the fish as you can see an oily residue on the knife. 

I catch, fillet and slice. My wife makes the sauce and plates it.

E31406A9-D8B0-46CD-A788-E5410E439B0C.jpeg

Looks great Whiskey, sounds interesting about the increases fat content in size.

Hopefully I can catch a larger version soon & test your theory out.

I still have many fish I want to try sashimi style, the foremost being the humble Aussie Salmon.

Caught, bleed, chilled straight away Im keen to test the rumor's that it eats well this way.

Smoked yes, raw not sure?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I still have many fish I want to try sashimi style, the foremost being the humble Aussie Salmon.

Caught, bleed, chilled straight away Im keen to test the rumor's that it eats well this way.

Smoked yes, raw not sure?  

Hi Adrian I caught a couple a few days ago, had them in a small rock pool & while following the school off the rocks a big wave washed them into a deep pool damn!! Anyway went  back the next day after work with net in hand, knife  & esky, managed to capture, bleed, gut & ice one of them, the other succumbed to an occy 

Anyway sorry for the long story but ended up hot smoking it after an  overnight soak in brown sugar salt & brine, used mesquite sawdust & it was flakey, golden & tasty. I normally give them to a single Asian mum & in kind she sends a sample container of whatever she’s made & to be honest the flavours are great but the salmon in most cases would be better left out

Good luck on the salmon sashimi 🤞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Hi Adrian I caught a couple a few days ago, had them in a small rock pool & while following the school off the rocks a big wave washed them into a deep pool damn!! Anyway went  back the next day after work with net in hand, knife  & esky, managed to capture, bleed, gut & ice one of them, the other succumbed to an occy 

Anyway sorry for the long story but ended up hot smoking it after an  overnight soak in brown sugar salt & brine, used mesquite sawdust & it was flakey, golden & tasty. I normally give them to a single Asian mum & in kind she sends a sample container of whatever she’s made & to be honest the flavours are great but the salmon in most cases would be better left out

Good luck on the salmon sashimi 🤞

I've been told the Salmon sashimi thing from quite a few people so I figure they cant all be wrong & I am willing to put it to the test, think it would be like bonito in that has to be treated right & done on the day of being caught. The next day the flesh starts to turn to mush I'd recon.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:19 AM, kingie chaser said:

I've been told the Salmon sashimi thing from quite a few people so I figure they cant all be wrong & I am willing to put it to the test, think it would be like bonito in that has to be treated right & done on the day of being caught. The next day the flesh starts to turn to mush I'd recon.

There’s a lot of salmon up here at the moment as well as down JonD’s way so you should be able to get them off a good beach gutter around your area at the moment on pilly or metal. Would be interested to hear how salmon sashimi goes. They are roe’d up at the moment (some Asian friends love it) if you are game to try

With the bonito if it’s soft try cutting a section & wrapping it in glad wrap or foil & then put it into the freezer for a few hours, firms up & easier to slice 😋 

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 1