Lake Cathie

dirvin21

Headed out for an early start walking the flats at Lake Cathie, with the huge run of prawns this year the aim was whiting on surface. It was definetly a bloody day for prawns the whiting were brutalising the prawns everywhere. Casted surface for awhile for a few hits and misses, eventually switched over to a soft plastic, first cast the plastic gets eaten by a big flathead which unfortunately chewed through my leader. The action was a little slow in the shallows with only a couple of miniscule flathead.

I waded out a bit further to the channel drop off, a couple of casts in the deep and the plastic gets nailed on the hop, after a good aerial display the first of a few small tailor was landed

received_1050398899117209.thumb.jpeg.0db5dc6bf18a3fdd1f080b49de04b9b4.jpeg

The better hits started coming from on the bottom of the channel so started slow twitching the plastic across the bottom, amd sure enough ot gets nailed again this fish felt a bit better

received_416489830178967.thumb.jpeg.e6b4d81a0aa5323d2cbdb0f9301cfd69.jpeg

the target species and fought hard, kept up the twitch across the bottom and hooked a couple of monster whiting which pulled the hooks in front of me before I stayed connected to another

received_923912138331530.thumb.jpeg.6dabfe34825ed72f350da6aa66800567.jpeg

another very nice whiting, love it ehen the target species gets caught. Moving slong close to the bridge got nailed right next to the pylons, the fish went hard it was a nervous fight from shore trying to keep it out of the pylons, I thought a big tailor but turned put to be a quality bream

received_2669390726701094.thumb.jpeg.c2e8aca367cc5e760517d6add1aaa74d.jpeg

A nice mid 30's to finish the session, been ages since I walked the flats, won't be long before I do it again

Cheers for reading

Dave

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Great work Dave! I love fishing that place. My best ever whiting came from there. Have they opened it to the ocean? It was closed off when I was there in February. 
Good to see you nail a few! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

It's closed at the moment, it's gonna take a flood to open it

• Like 1