Best Fish

maccapacca

Many people on fishraider have many stories, just thought I could learn a bit about the people on here by hearing about such stories.

So to anyone who sees this, what’s the best fish you’ve ever caught? Maybe the most memorable?

Apologies if this is the wrong spot for this just thought this would be so good fun to hear people’s stories.

Edited by maccapacca
  • Like 1

Most memorable/hard work was a 70KG Yellowfin, on Snapper gear, in the dark, on my own! got the other lines in, the anchor up, motor started, on my own, while holding the rod, fighting the fish, drove around for ages chasing the thing, when I finally gaffed it, I then had to get it in the boat, what a night.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, noelm said:

Most memorable/hard work was a 70KG Yellowfin, on Snapper gear, in the dark, on my own! got the other lines in, the anchor up, motor started, on my own, while holding the rod, fighting the fish, drove around for ages chasing the thing, when I finally gaffed it, I then had to get it in the boat, what a night.

That must of been a effort, massive adrenaline rush I assume.That would be surprising yet insanely fun haha

A 22cm jungle perch

When I was 10 I  got a big fishing book written by Steve Starling for christmas, in the middle there was a picture of a jungle perch, I can still remember the pic ot had a white rebel crawdad hanging out of it's mouth, the green sheen and black pattern, instantly the top of my bucket list. Over many years I'd read articles on JPs and look longingly at maps of rivers where they inhabited 

Finally 27 years later, I had the opportunity to catch a JP in  Cairns, and might I say they are damn alert, it was only when I'd accepted the prospect of defeat

Resized_20181031_103712_8726.jpeg.c431b46ef726101609651404f9945fea.jpeg.jpg.f6da172fc68e3e2e38d0f303aa449696.jpg

he grabbed the lure at my feet whilst ripping across a rapid, the top of the bucket list

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

A 22cm jungle perch

When I was 10 I  got a big fishing book written by Steve Starling for christmas, in the middle there was a picture of a jungle perch, I can still remember the pic ot had a white rebel crawdad hanging out of it's mouth, the green sheen and black pattern, instantly the top of my bucket list. Over many years I'd read articles on JPs and look longingly at maps of rivers where they inhabited 

Finally 27 years later, I had the opportunity to catch a JP in  Cairns, and might I say they are damn alert, it was only when I'd accepted the prospect of defeat

Resized_20181031_103712_8726.jpeg.c431b46ef726101609651404f9945fea.jpeg.jpg.f6da172fc68e3e2e38d0f303aa449696.jpg

he grabbed the lure at my feet whilst ripping across a rapid, the top of the bucket list

Got a cool pattern on it, shows that it’s not about the size or anything.Glad you could eventually grab one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good topic to post maccapacca. I will be very interested in reading some of the replies you get.

I can't pin it down to 1 so I'll relate some of the more significant, in no particular order.

Used to go with some mates to South Australia for 4 days of fishing (charter fishing). On one such trip to Cape Jervis I was lucky to catch two Snapper in consecutive drops... 92 and 91 cms. Also caught some King George Whiting on light gear.

Port Welshpool (Gippsland, Victoria). My Father-in-law and I went out into Corner Inlet to fish for Flathead. The water was crystal clear and you could just make out the fish moving toward your pilchard bait. We caught heaps of good eating sized fish but the best one was the reason the others were there. I hooked the big female and she measured 101cms. By far the biggest Flattie I had ever seen. She was returned to carry on doing her business.

My first Murray Cod on lure was exciting too. They usually hit hard and although they don't put up much of a fight, you have to muscle them to keep them out of the snags. However, I have caught many Murray Cod on surface lures and every one scares the living daylights out of you. How they can hit the lure while turning to head for the safety of the snags, initially is frightening. 

Probably, because I spend more time fishing for Murray Cod, that would have to be my favourite.

Looking forward to reading some of the replies as they come in... We are very lucky to have so much diversity in our fishing options, here in Australia. bn

• Like 9

I was pretty happy with a 42cm bream caught all the way back in 2006 on an Ecogear SX40 in Hen and Chicken Bay. This pic was from a post I made on this site in 2006. I don't think I've bested 42cm since, least of all on a lure.

Apart from being a reasonable fish, the other thing that was special was that I had run into a few fellow raiders who were there to share the moment and help out with the net. There were a few raider stalwarts who I would regularly run into on both H&C Bay and Iron Cove, and it was fun being part of a not-so-secret-society of luring fanatics. Was as good a community then as it is now.

post-1223-1158524416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was pretty happy with a 42cm bream caught all the way back in 2006 on an Ecogear SX40 in Hen and Chicken Bay. This pic was from a post I made on this site in 2006. I don't think I've bested 42cm since, least of all on a lure.

Apart from being a reasonable fish, the other thing that was special was that I had run into a few fellow raiders who were there to share the moment and help out with the net. There were a few raider stalwarts who I would regularly run into on both H&C Bay and Iron Cove, and it was fun being part of a not-so-secret-society of luring fanatics. Was as good a community then as it is now.

Cracker of a bream,

It's awesome how you can look back on fishraider as a personal fishing journal

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hen and chicken and iron cove can really supply some decent bream for sure. 

• Like 1

Most memorable for me would be a porcupinefish under the iron cove. 
It was dark, rainy, windy and nobody around. I had no idea what it was. Pulled it out of the sea after it hit a slim swim and stared at it in horror. Then it starts audibly whistling while it inflates on shore. 

Weird thing. the whole catch and release process gave me the creeps. 

FA443308-820B-4672-89FC-7ABE18327BFD.thumb.jpeg.21950acea6766067b66c3f6356852983.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Too many memories.  A 30lb jewie caught from the shore in the 70s that won the Fishing News comp winning an all expenses 2 weeks in Canada fishing the Canadian Salmon Derby.  A 60lb black marlin caught from my 4.5 metre tinnie.  A 32lb longtail caught spinning from the rocks. Two almost identical 97cm flathead caught on 1kg pretest line which were the NSW record for some time.  How do you pick a favorite??  Ron 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

That is outstanding - 2006!

I have added a Gold Member badge to your signature and thank you for all your help and great content @Little_Flatty

• Like 7

1 hour ago, campr said:

Too many memories.  A 30lb jewie caught from the shore in the 70s that won the Fishing News comp winning an all expenses 2 weeks in Canada fishing the Canadian Salmon Derby.  A 60lb black marlin caught from my 4.5 metre tinnie.  A 32lb longtail caught spinning from the rocks. Two almost identical 97cm flathead caught on 1kg pretest line which were the NSW record for some time.  How do you pick a favorite??  Ron 

Wow how do you even manage a marlin in a tinnie haha

38 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

That is outstanding - 2006!

I have added a Gold Member badge to your signature and thank you for all your help and great content @Little_Flatty

Thanks Mrs Swordie, it's humbling to receive this badge. When I first joined Fishraider I was in my early 20s and was pretty much still a kid. I'm just glad that a whole generation of younger fishos have joined the site, mixing in with the rest of us old timers and learning and sharing a whole lot about fishing and life.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

Thanks Mrs Swordie, it's humbling to receive this badge. When I first joined Fishraider I was in my early 20s and was pretty much still a kid. I'm just glad that a whole generation of younger fishos have joined the site, mixing in with the rest of us old timers and learning and sharing a whole lot about fishing and life.

Adding on the end of what you just said, just wanted to say thanks generaly to everyone who’s put the effort in to just explain a concept or teach me something new.Many fishos my age are greatly successful but secretive in a sense, so I appreciate everyone for not making it like a club or secretive and accepting anyone and everyone

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Adding on the end of what you just said, just wanted to say thanks generaly to everyone who’s put the effort in to just explain a concept or teach me something new.Many fishos my age are greatly successful but secretive in a sense, so I appreciate everyone for not making it like a club or secretive and accepting anyone and everyone

That is what fishraider is all about

• Like 4

There's a few fish that id put up
first ones not mine but my dads, Anyway me and my dad use to fish off the cliffs at kurnell a lot. we would usually balloon out baits out for kings & salmon or bottom bash the gravel beds for snapper, one morning just as the sun peeping over the horizon I vividly remember my dads balloon disappearing in a blink of an eye and a long fight on a 90 -1m king begins. Controlling a fish from the cliffs is quite easy until its in the wash below. When its in the wash, you have 2 options, winch the fish up the cliff with the reels which are alveys for their 1 to 1 line retrieval ratio or use the cliff gaff which is basically a long rope and a sort of inverted treble hook so it doesn't get caught below. Add another 20 minutes and multiple failed attempts on the gaff the fish is eventually brought up and it was just as big as I was.

This trip is what got me into fishing! 

My first good fish off the cliffs was a rather solid aussie salmon around the 60cm mark. Unlike my dads method of fishing, I was using a much simpler technique of a standard float with strip baits or small poddys on lighter gear and a much smaller alvey as a large fish like that king would've probably pulled 13 year old me over. I would mostly catch bream, cod & the occasional pelagic. 
I  casted my bait out and let it drift along the cliffs just past the wash and i saw a dark spot in the water which was a school of salmon swim just past my bait. The float went under shortly after and a pretty short tussle with the fish resulted in my first good sized fish! Didn't use the cliff gaff, just pump and wind. keep it smooth as any jolty movements may cause the hook to pop out. I was stoked! 

More recently & with photos and a post here on the forums as well I pulled out my first big jew at 104cm on 20lb, a shimano terez and a stradic 5k. Before this I haven't fished for jews (only caught 3 before this trip) much & have only gone as a social session with mates, but lockdown made me fish my new local system a bit more then I have previously, as I usually fished up and down port hacking. I Was only out for an hour before my rod buckled and 75 odd meters of line is peeled off in a fantastic run. Didn't take long to land as it was mostly dead weight till it was under the kayak where it did some smaller runs but once landed i was amazed at the size of it. Despite wanting to release it, i was too shocked so i ended up eating it.

I do hope one day i can get out and catch some serious pelagics. I first want to tick off the 1 meter king and also a longtail. I love fish that run hard and put gear and tackle to the test. I don't fish for a feed, I fish for fun & to catch the biggest bloody thing out there.
recently I have been trying to catch my first bull shark, another bucket list species. I hope when I do get one its a monster.

One day, down the track I hope to get dollies, yellowfin, cobia and maybe even the pinnacle of fishing, the mighty marlin all on my own gear, tackle and bait. Just need a boat.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Catching my first legal fish off the beach. Beach fishing always seemed daunting but just by going and putting in some effort i was rewarded with a nice 35cm bream. The excitement of catching it was amazing i was smiling all morning!

• Like 3

Great topic and personally, I have so many great captures that stick in my mind, but the one I always come back to was my first marlin off the rocks way back when land based game was just kicking off in this country.

Many have seen this pic before, but I thought I'd add it again to show the newer members.

15-01-83 28kg.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Great topic and personally, I have so many great captures that stick in my mind, but the one I always come back to was my first marlin off the rocks way back when land based game was just kicking off in this country.

Many have seen this pic before, but I thought I'd add it again to show the newer members.

15-01-83 28kg.jpg

That’s a beautiful fish for sure, never knew you coul catch much of them on the rocks around aus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

That’s a beautiful fish for sure, never knew you coul catch much of them on the rocks around aus

There's not too many places in the country where they can be caught. A spot called Torpedo Tubes in Jervis Bay is without doubt  the best known.

This one was caught on the ocean side of Jervis bay and one of the first recorded captures in the area way back in 1983.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1

I don't keep weights or measurements as a rule so have no idea what my best Flathead Bream etc would have measured or weighed , all I know is I have caught some big fish, and some not so big.

Those that I did weigh back in the day was Black marlin caught at the banks 317 lbs OR 144kg in todays talk , Yellowfin Tuna 213 lbs OR 97 kg . My best Mulloway was 42 lb caught back in late 60's and I have been trying without success ever since to reach that magic mark of 50 lbs but have never done it.

Frank

• Like 5