Ron Calcutt - A Fisherman's Life

Little_Flatty

So much effort for precious information.. Now the kids just "google" it and watch it on youtube - which he did with me tonight on your link - thank you. LFMAO - "why do you guys all look so weird??" referring to the yutube vidz - he's never seen bell bottom pants, body shirts OR the ALL Aussie Terry towelling hat (bought one for the sister in law when she moved across the ditch)

When I moved to the coast I watched those videos mentioned above (lots) - a big change from inland fishing. Got me hooked on fishing. BN would be horrified at my early circa 1974-86 fishing methods on the "Bidgee.

On a side note ALL creeks & rivers from the Manning to Coffs Harbour are running a double cafe latte today. Moderate flood levels so anyone coming for a fish please beware. A good opportunity to chase some Jew on the run out or on the beaches. Limited reports outside indicate some good snapper & Pearlies pre dirty water. Current 2 weeks ago was 22 out at 150m. We need a southerly to bring it in closer. Still some good flathead & Jew in the river systems.

3 minutes ago, Hoods said:

So much effort for precious information.. Now the kids just "google" it and watch it on youtube - which he did with me tonight on your link - thank you. LFMAO - "why do you guys all look so weird??" referring to the yutube vidz - he's never seen bell bottom pants, body shirts OR the ALL Aussie Terry towelling hat (bought one for the sister in law when she moved across the ditch)

They looked strange to me already, watching this as a kid in the early 90s! I wondered why they looked so weird and then I looked at photos of my parents from the 70s and put two and two together...🤣

I do think part of the reason why we treasure these videos so much was that we had to buy or hire them and the anticipation after we found it was palpable.

In our day the limited information we could get was Gold. These days I tell the kids there is so much information available the key is to work out what is relevant. (And just because its on the web doesn't mean its True.

Unfortunately for me the most useful tools for fishing now is Social Media - FB posts of fish just caught, Snapchats which show your locaion - worked a treat last year to show where the Mackeral were being caught!!

No wonder they think we were wired back in the day.

• Like 1