Lake Mac Flathead on surface lures

Brendonjohnson

Took some time out from my hard fought pursuit to land a big jew on lure to chase some flathead on surface lures around the shallows at the entrance to Lake Macquarie over the past 2 days.

Fished the start of the run in tide the past 2 mornings for 2 big lizards the first going 75cm and the second which was landed this morning going 85cm.

Both fish were caught in less than 30cm of water and i found that looking for nervous schools of whiting being the key to finding where the flathead were sitting and waiting.

I release all my flathead but unfortunately the bigger fish (85cm) was hooked too deep and bled out during the fight and couldn’t be revived despite me trying for 20 minutes. That’s the way catch and release fishing goes and be rest assured that the fish will not go to waste. Still devastated though.

Both fish were taken on the OSP 130mm bent minnow amongst a few smaller fish. They fight well in shallow water and the hits are savage GREAT FISHING!.

Thanks for reading.

Brendon.

8DBEA725-36F4-4567-9D94-632FF7936CD0.jpeg.93dea6784fe63046f3586ed070d58772.jpeg

E30079C4-2CDB-43B1-9779-D1D2ED0DB001.jpeg.9384b55da7028e98eb13dc2d2990d35e.jpeg
F1FFF254-BF3E-4A12-B981-45AE5160680F.thumb.jpeg.189340adfbc14471ea25af82c5ac890e.jpeg

Edited by Brendonjohnson
  • Like 26

37 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

That's awesome. 2 great fish.

76cm is my PB on surface, taken on a Lucky Craft Sammy while targeting whiting.

How good is it when they clear the water after smacking a lure!

That’s a cracker PB!

It sure is exciting! Any surface luring is great!

• Like 1

Very nice fish.

I have had large flatties hit small hooked whiting, and it is a hard hit felt through the line. Unfortunately those couple of flatties did not stay hooked long enough to get to the net, as I was only using a small hook.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Very nice fish.

I have had large flatties hit small hooked whiting, and it is a hard hit felt through the line. Unfortunately those couple of flatties did not stay hooked long enough to get to the net, as I was only using a small hook.

Thanks mate!

yeah makes sense!, aggressive buggers they are.

5 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

I release all my flathead but unfortunately the bigger fish (85cm) was hooked too deep and bled out during the fight and couldn’t be revived despite me trying for 20 minutes. That’s the way catch and release fishing goes and be rest assured that the fish will not go to waste. Still devastated though.

Great fishing Brendon, that's a pretty awesome day

I don't want to overshadow your post but this is exactly what I was talking about that could happen if the new flathead bag limits come in!

If these new rules come in you will have to drop that 85cm dead fish back in the water otherwise you will be hit with a possible $500 fine.

Ultimately we all want to release these fish but if you end up catching one over 70cm & unfortunately its a fish that cant be released alive or is certain to die you cant be caught with it!!

What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes you think right 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

If these new rules come in you will have to drop that 85cm dead fish back in the water otherwise you will be hit with a possible $500 fine.

Ultimately we all want to release these fish but if you end up catching one over 70cm & unfortunately its a fish that cant be released alive or is certain to die you cant be caught with it!!

Many years ago, I ate one at 86cm, and it was a bit tough,however, it would be a waste just to chuck it back in to feed the sharks. Not much you can do if the new rules become law.

Around 65cm is my limit for eating, preferably less than 60cm. A 60cm blue spot or tiger is still good eating, a bit more tender than a dusky.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Great fishing Brendon, that's a pretty awesome day

I don't want to overshadow your post but this is exactly what I was talking about that could happen if the new flathead bag limits come in!

What a waste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Makes you think right 🤔

Yeah definitely makes you think mate! That’s such a valid argument and i completely agree.

To be honest with you I thought about letting it sit there and driving off but I couldn’t! As you said such a waste.

But in saying that mate I still think that the positive effects of these new bag limits will far outweigh the negatives.

There will be crocs lurking everywhere in the lake in a few years I’m sure of it. Lake Mac will be a big fish machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great day out getting 2 over 75cm!

Shame about the big girl, she must have been well and truly spent:(

I landed a PB at 97 on a hard body years ago and managed to get the deeply hooked HB out with some delicate surgery before releasing her at the base of a private house slipway. She sat on the bottom for a while before the wind came up and I'm hoping she swam off.

I feel pretty good about the many 70+ lizards I've released over the years and hope we all keep reaping the rewards of upgraded PBs for years to come:)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great day out getting 2 over 75cm!

Shame about the big girl, she must have been well and truly spent:(

I landed a PB at 97 on a hard body years ago and managed to get the deeply hooked HB out with some delicate surgery before releasing her at the base of a private house slipway. She sat on the bottom for a while before the wind came up and I'm hoping she swam off.

I feel pretty good about the many 70+ lizards I've released over the years and hope we all keep reaping the rewards of upgraded PBs for years to come:)

Yeah mate it was pretty heartbreaking but as you said I’ve released plenty over 70cm over the years so I think I’ll get over it. Still feel terrible though.

Sorry I meant lure.  Never chased whiting with lures and I’d like to try it.  Would have thought these lures were too big for whiting but will be guided by you.

thanks

• Thanks 1