Snapper on fly

Ben Hall

On 12/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Hoods said:

You have raised the bar Ben Hall... In 1994 I took the wand out & caught Dollies and Striped Tuna on the 5 weight but that Snapper of yours is a step up - Well Done. Don't stop there.

Thanks Hoods,

Theres a few fish I'm working hard to tick off the bucket list, and the Longtail Tuna is very high on that list. Unfortunately the last 2 years with covid travel restrictions I couldn't fish the peak times when they come down the coast. This new year it's going to happen. Dollies are also up there.

I fished Fraser Island last year and switched a Black Marlin onto the fly but didn't set the hooks, I was meant to be up there a few weeks ago. Crossing the border was out of the question with isolation requirements.

I just love fly fishing just can't put it down, yeah there's some tough days when you know there's better  more productive ways to fish. But I normally just push on, knowing that the next trip out could just be the best day fly fishing yet to be had.

Cheers Ben

Edited by Ben Hall
More info
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ben Hall said:

Thanks Hoods,

Theres a few fish I'm working hard to tick off the bucket list, and the Longtail Tuna is very high on that list. Unfortunately the last 2 years with covid travel restrictions I couldn't fish the peak times when they come down the coast. This new year it's going to happen. Dollies are also up there.

I fished Fraser Island last year and switched a Black Marlin onto the fly but didn't set the hooks, I was meant to be up there a few weeks ago. Crossing the border was out of the question with isolation requirements.

I just love fly fishing just can't put it down, yeah there's some tough days when you know there's better  more productive ways to fish. But I normally just push on, knowing that the next trip out could just be the best day fly fishing yet to be had.

Cheers Ben

Totally agree with this Ben. Have recently taken up fly fishing and love it but still have days where I think I should just break out the spinning gear and save some headaches…

But just forcing myself to keep going!

18 hours ago, flycamp said:

Totally agree with this Ben. Have recently taken up fly fishing and love it but still have days where I think I should just break out the spinning gear and save some headaches…

But just forcing myself to keep going!

Hey Flycamp,

It's been a long hard journey for me especially since I didn't know anyone that fly fished, so I had to no one to show me. Eventually I got into a fly casting tuition day with Peter Morse, since then I've been to a few days casting with him. I highly recommend to anybody to do a day with someone like him. Once you get a few different casts that you can use it helps to overcome the challenges you have while fishing, especially dealing with the wind.

Goodluck on your fly fishing journey.

The best way to learn is to leave the other gear at home & then you have to make it work. Like when we were learning SP's for snapper.

How do you go casting from a boat with the flyrod? - I am proposing to build a casting deck for the front of my tinny to help with casting SP's & flies etc outside.

7 hours ago, flycamp said:

Makes total sense mate. Thanks for the guidance. I’ve heard Peter is hard to get into.

I’m the same - don’t really know anyone who fly fishes so the learning curve is pretty steep  

Did you reach out to him directly?

Pretty sure you can get some one on tuition with Peter. Central coast fly rodders advertised 2 of the days I went to over the years, but the other 2 day tuition I done with him was the CCI tuition I contacted him directly when I seen he advertised he was running the course. There's couple of others I would consider and that's Justin Duggan who is a guide in Sydney who is meant to be an incredible caster also Chris Adams who is up on the Sunshine Coast.

2 hours ago, Hoods said:

The best way to learn is to leave the other gear at home & then you have to make it work. Like when we were learning SP's for snapper.

How do you go casting from a boat with the flyrod? - I am proposing to build a casting deck for the front of my tinny to help with casting SP's & flies etc outside.

No problem casting out of the boat, I do have a casting deck up the front but will fish from anywhere in the boat, the main thing you need is to have a clear deck as fly line seems to tangle around everything and anything.

I still go and practise down the park from time to time, and don't just practice in nice conditions do it when it's windy also.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:16 PM, flycamp said:

Cheers Ben. That’s very helpful. I will try to get a hold of Peter.

I’ve heard Justin is great too but he’s usually out on charters I think.

Thanks for all the tips mate and keep killing it!

Hey Flycamp  if you can't get into a casting day with the likes of Peter or Justin, i would happily meet you in a park for some casting practice if your in the Hunter Valley area, might be able to help improve your casting until you get with the professionals.

Cheers Ben