Griffith/Wagga

BigHorse

Hey guys,

Heading down south during my early 2 week school holiday and am hoping to get a fish in! we are mainly spending our time in Wagga Wagga and Griffith. From google maps it looks like the Murrumbidge river is an option in Wagga and Lake Wyangan might be a good place for yellow belly and Murray Cod. I think there is a Murray Cod closure around December time to let them spawn though. Anyway am just looking for some pointers about fishing down that way! Also is anyone can recommend any local tackle stores ill be able to support i'd be thankful!

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, BigHorse said:

Hey guys,

Heading down south during my early 2 week school holiday and am hoping to get a fish in! we are mainly spending our time in Wagga Wagga and Griffith. From google maps it looks like the Murrumbidge river is an option in Wagga and Lake Wyangan might be a good place for yellow belly and Murray Cod. I think there is a Murray Cod closure around December time to let them spawn though. Anyway am just looking for some pointers about fishing down that way! Also is anyone can recommend any local tackle stores ill be able to support i'd be thankful!

Thanks in advance!

Hey BigHorse, I live in that region. The Murrumbidgee River flows through Wagga/Narrandera/Darlington Point. The latter being about 33kms from Griffith. The Murray Cod season opens on Wed Dec 1st for 9 months. Yellowbelly have no closed season. You don't say whether you will have a boat, you would need one for Lake Wyangan (nr Griffith).

Unfortunately the Murrumbidgee is in flood at present but could drop, if there is no more rain in the short term. You are welcome to ring me to discuss your plans. If the situation changes I would be happy to take you out in my tinny and put you onto some Cod. My phone is 0466853633.

bn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Talk to the local aboriginals there. they have some great tips and locations which you would never think of, ask for their 'secret bait'. Sorry, Ive been asked not to say but i definately know these tactics work. this worked, family friend pulled out a pretty decent size cod. Caught from a bank near some snags 

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
  • Thanks 1

Just had a look at the river at one of my local boat ramps and (at present) I would be able to launch the tinny. Next ramp upstream is not accessible at present, third one I haven't had a look. I just hope we don't have too much rain in the short term. Will let you know how I go when I get out fishing. bn

• Thanks 1

What a way to start your Cod season Bigneil...

Still think Yanco Creek would work especiially as it should connect to the Edwards then the Murray in this event.

No reports up here - too much water mixed up with the fish!!

Good luck to all, Hoods