Northern Beaches Whiting

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Its been a while !

Bad weather has been a curse. Unable to take the boat out, the itch to cast a line was becoming unbearable. So i packed up work early yesterday and headed up to the northern beaches for some sandy R & R. 

Armed with live tube worms and red long shank hooks i walked the beach until i found a very obvious gutter. First cast onto the target species. Whiting.

Fished from 7 to 10 and packed up with a decent bag of whiting and a solo bream. The biggest whiting was a nice thick horsie at 44cm, couldnt beleive my eyes when it came out of the surf.

I quite enjoyed the relaxing sunset over the water with the sound of the surf breaking and it was a nice change up from the usual boat prep and wash down of the weekend bottom bash. Though admittedly i do hate how the sand always inevitably finds its way into your gear. 

Heres hoping for some better weather this weekend. Thanks for reading 

Sam

20211129_234504.jpg

• Like 18

6 hours ago, motiondave said:

Great stuff, which beach was that at? 

Chances of him giving you the location =0 :074:
I will be searching on coastwatch when the sun comes up - I will find it and you watch how the seas dump a big swell in my lap right when I am going for a fish ! If Narrabeen lagoon has broken out  into the sea that is a real hotspot for whiting and bream . been trying to catch some whiting on Gulp sand worms , so far only a few Dart - that is when I can get out as the swell always seems to be none existent or 3m ! 

Ripper catch by the way Going fishing ! 

Edited by XD351
  • Like 4

Nice bag of Whiting, top job, for those asking about "secret" spots, you don't need any secret spots for Whiting, use the right bait, choose any beach and look for a gutter, I prefer low tide just on daylight or dusk, but you can catch them almost anytime, just get out there and give it a try, waiting for someone to tell you where will not catch you fish.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, motiondave said:

Great stuff, which beach was that at? 

Thanks Dave - ive sent you a private message

15 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Nice bag of whiting. Well done

Thanks Gordo

10 hours ago, XD351 said:

Chances of him giving you the location =0 :074:
I will be searching on coastwatch when the sun comes up - I will find it and you watch how the seas dump a big swell in my lap right when I am going for a fish ! If Narrabeen lagoon has broken out  into the sea that is a real hotspot for whiting and bream . been trying to catch some whiting on Gulp sand worms , so far only a few Dart - that is when I can get out as the swell always seems to be none existent or 3m ! 

Ripper catch by the way Going fishing ! 

HA - looks like you havent been on fishraider very long and dont know me from a bar of soap. I am more than happy to share information on locations..to loyal fishraiders......to those who have been on the forum long and are active contributors. I dont share locations for the ghost stalkers to pick up. PS had a looksy of your profile, only two reports with some very generic locations noted...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Practise what you preach brother

8 hours ago, noelm said:

Nice bag of Whiting, top job, for those asking about "secret" spots, you don't need any secret spots for Whiting, use the right bait, choose any beach and look for a gutter, I prefer low tide just on daylight or dusk, but you can catch them almost anytime, just get out there and give it a try, waiting for someone to tell you where will not catch you fish.

Thanks Noel -  yep. any fisho worth a grain of salt would know beach fishing is very dynamic changing daily. where i fished last night might be useless tomorrow ! Sand gutters move all the time.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice tub of whiting. The biggest would be a pound and a half, a good fish.

Thanks Yowie. he pulled pretty hard, thought it was a salmon!

8 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice feed there mate, I have wanting to try whiting fishing if the beach but now that weekend sport has started again I am struggling to find time for fishing.

cheers Isaac. Hope you can get out soon

7 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What a great feed of fillets!

Thanks Bessel

6 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done some nice whiting they are top eating fish 

Cheers mate

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul. Well done.

You can't beat the beach for fishing.

Thanks Rebel - it was good fun. Very relaxing.

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

I have iirc in the past  even supplied a map ! Doesn’t mean they are going to catch fish though - there are a few subtle things they still have to work out for themselves !

Mmmmmm yep had a look at your only two reports on fishraider and didnt find any maps 🧐

40 minutes ago, lakelad said:

Nice haul @GoingFishing, out of interest how do you put the worms on the hook typically - up the middle of the worm so to speak, or back and forth through it's side to fit more on?

Hi Lakelad - i use a worm that is slightly longer than the length of the hook - say 1cm longer. I feed the worm onto the hook through the guts and then at the very end i bring the hook out and bring it in once more side to side as almost like a "knot"

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

May not have in a report but I have in other posts !

I have seen ( mostly on YouTube ) where the only comment they get is where is the spot - made me laugh when Dave asked that ! 

And I was only joking BTW :074:

Edited by XD351

Top stuff Sam. The weather has been atrocious- the big wet and swells coinciding with weekends - bah humbug. 
Glad you got out champ and were rewarded by that tasty bag. 👍👍👍

Here’s to a top summer filled with fin for you.

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Top stuff Sam. The weather has been atrocious- the big wet and swells coinciding with weekends - bah humbug. 
Glad you got out champ and were rewarded by that tasty bag. 👍👍👍

Here’s to a top summer filled with fin for you.

cheers Zoran 

Thanks Z. We had whiting fillets last night. Delicious !!!!! Hopefully well find a beakie to put onboard this summer season

2 hours ago, Rummers said:

Stonka whiting! That’s king George sized 

Thanks Rummers. He put an awesome fight and i was concerned the 12lb leader would pop but it held up ok. Especially when the surf is rolling back downhill pulling the fish with it. Prime time territory for leader popping.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jot said:

location not a problem...where you got worms, now that's what I'm interested in.

However dogey knee and back atm has stopped my fishing anyway :(

Jim

Hey Jim. Sorry to hear about your back and your knee. Hopefully you will be back onto fishing soon.

Extreme Fishing in Merrylands stocks live tube worms most of the time.