Mud Marlin mornin'

big Neil

With my pottery wheel cactus due to a blown up motor and no replacement parts available, I took the opportunity to go catch a few Mud Marlin in the local channel. The river is running a banker and is unfishable, but the irrigation channels are just very full, but fishable.

I used 2 rods, both with paternoster rigs and bread for bait. The bites were regular and I got half a dozen in a short space of time. Really good fun on 6 lb line and a light drag. Did lose quite a few in the rocks which form the framework of channel banks near the regulators. The fish ranged from about 40 to 70 cms and (were) in good condition. Here are a few pics. bn

IMG_3525rs.thumb.jpg.6b0f717cf0340b0a77fbfbfd6331dc69.jpgIMG_3526rs.thumb.jpg.77e86a53bd7e099029e12f7a00db320a.jpgIMG_3524rs.thumb.jpg.16e91a154ee9972b2dccd797967dd126.jpg

• Like 15

Good one BN !  they would have put up a great account of themselves on light gear.... "mud marlin" ... love the rebranding ... you should start a career in marketing you're a natural.

Cheers Zoran

PS - what type/size of motor (can you PM a picture). I have a few electric motors lying around in the workshop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Well done, the ol' carp can be a good fight fish for sure. Only place I've caught them was Parramatta river fresh, and it was great fun.  but had to return them to the water as the area is under council trust and CCT cameras watch us all 😁

That's interesting Dave. Releasing them back into your waters isn't going to significantly make the numbers worse...they are in plague proportions out West of the divide. Hope you're keeping well mate. Neil

Great haul Neil and a good, fun way to help out the environment.

On another forum I visit, there was a thread about different nicknames for carp and 2 that stick to mind other than mud marlin were ghetto trout and hillbilly bonefish.

I've always wanted to hook a good one on the fly rod, but haven't managed yet.

I hope you get your pottery wheel up and running again soon. I still admire the Raku bowl you made for me.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done BN. Keep up the good work. As for "sports" fish they make good target practice. On a side note the water out near the shelf last weekend was over 23 but the boys came home empty. I suspect lots of fish are in close cleaning up as the dirty water flushes out. I'm sure there are some big lizards, jew & red "deveils" waiting for your attention up here.

If you tell us the details of your motor I'm sure there will be one lying about.

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2021 at 10:03 AM, big Neil said:

With my pottery wheel cactus due to a blown up motor and no replacement parts available, I took the opportunity to go catch a few Mud Marlin in the local channel. The river is running a banker and is unfishable, but the irrigation channels are just very full, but fishable.

I used 2 rods, both with paternoster rigs and bread for bait. The bites were regular and I got half a dozen in a short space of time. Really good fun on 6 lb line and a light drag. Did lose quite a few in the rocks which form the framework of channel banks near the regulators. The fish ranged from about 40 to 70 cms and (were) in good condition. Here are a few pics. bn

Nice pest eradication there BN :thumbup:

On 12/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, Yowie said:

Nice catch of a pest. You would need to fish all week to reduce the numbers (probably by 0.01%  😂 )

While true it still makes a difference!

Those 10 caught carp probably just saved 40 Murray cod or other native species.

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice pest eradication there BN :thumbup:

While true it still makes a difference!

Those 10 caught carp probably just saved 40 Murray cod or other native species.

Thanks KC, very true. I really heap value on every one that I eradicate by considering their prolific breeding capabilities. Whilst I don't know exact figures, I estimate that each is (probably) worth tens of thousands over what would be their expected life span. Small contribution indeed, but they are good fun when times are tough for Native fishing.

Shouldn't be too long before the river becomes fishable again and I can get back to what I like best.

bn

On 12/7/2021 at 12:06 PM, Green Hornet said:

Great haul Neil and a good, fun way to help out the environment.

On another forum I visit, there was a thread about different nicknames for carp and 2 that stick to mind other than mud marlin were ghetto trout and hillbilly bonefish.

I've always wanted to hook a good one on the fly rod, but haven't managed yet.

I hope you get your pottery wheel up and running again soon. I still admire the Raku bowl you made for me.

When conditions are "normal" my mate takes a fly rod with him when we go lure fishing for Murray Cod. Often we see Carp foraging in the backwaters and they will take flies then. Good hooking up on 5/6 wt rod. I like the names used on the other forum. Everyone acknowledges that they are a pest, that's a plus. Neil

• Like 1