Tried something different...

big Neil

A mate rang and asked if I fancied a trip to the river to sight fish for Carp with the fly rod. I wasn't doing anything else so we headed to the local boat ramp armed with the fly fishing gear. We took some lures too, in case we found some backwater to fish. The area which we went to was not terribly deep and we decided to chuck some lures around for Native fish, as we searched for the "rising Carp". It was actually a lagoon which sits behind the junction of the Murrumbidgee and the Sturt Canal. We probably put in several hundred casts each and mate managed to hook this small Yellowbelly (35cm). He also had one other hit but it didn't connect. I had no luck whatsoever, despite putting in some very accurate casts. No sign of the expected "rising Carp" so we never even used the fly gear.

It was good to be out in the fresh air again and pleasing to see that we hadn't lost our ability to cast well. Here are some photos from the trip...  bn

IMG_3530rs.thumb.jpg.d317bd232b6ed7ab1da1ed1067403815.jpgIMG_3535rs.thumb.jpg.689289c22aafe289dc3c750333a579fd.jpgIMG_3531rs.thumb.jpg.1fe890b2822b4a2ad38751deaf2c6539.jpgIMG_3532rs.thumb.jpg.d4e06c03fc25cf17c0a114e2cc329236.jpgIMG_3534rs.thumb.jpg.bf4510c980c2b422f90fd3a5233245bd.jpgIMG_3538rs.thumb.jpg.ab56d6d8ff37eff53eefd2783e08f137.jpgIMG_3535rs.thumb.jpg.94aa7ec85583368e6ff3875d67c170d2.jpgIMG_3536rs.thumb.jpg.9848b5d3333ffec66973360d46410ac7.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Great pics BN and a nice fish to go with them.

Can you encourage carp to take pieces of bread off the surface? If they do, perhaps a bread fly would work.

I have zero experience with carp, but they are on my list with the fly rod.

I reckon you probably can. Mate's brother said there were plenty of Carp rising in this area, 2 days prior, That was our primary objective. When there were no signs of them we did a recon of the area with the Cod lures.

Next time I go there I will probably take some bread and toss a few bits on the surface to see if I can entice them up. I actually have some "bread flies" but have no idea where I put them. Definitely love the idea of hooking a decent Carp on the fly rod, should be great fun. Cheers, keep safe. bn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Looking at those trees and surrounds you would almost expect to see a Saratoga leap out and mouth the lure. My favorite style of fishing, casting to the snags.

Great photos and I wish I could be there with you.

Frank

Aaww that's another that's on my bucket list Frank. I reckon they're a beautiful looking fish. bn

13 hours ago, big Neil said:

I reckon you probably can. Mate's brother said there were plenty of Carp rising in this area, 2 days prior, That was our primary objective. When there were no signs of them we did a recon of the area with the Cod lures.

Next time I go there I will probably take some bread and toss a few bits on the surface to see if I can entice them up. I actually have some "bread flies" but have no idea where I put them. Definitely love the idea of hooking a decent Carp on the fly rod, should be great fun. Cheers, keep safe. bn

Down here on the coast I chese mullet on fly using the same technique with the bread berley.

Instead of a bread fly, I just use a bean bag pea on a hook and its just as effective.