Narrabeen Lake - Intimidation by other fisho's

Renegade460

Went for a fish on Saturday afternoon late down at the lake near the entrance. Turned up early to get a spot and wait for the swimmers to go home. Started having a few casts and a group of guys had set up about 6ft away from me. I said I had just arrived about 1/2 an hour prior and planning on staying until after dark.

Kept having a cast and turned around to find that they had put all their gear around mine and had told their kids (about 14 years old) to sit within a foot in front of my chair. I was then told that they were fishing here now with all their cousins who were on their way.

After a few words from me to try and diffuse the situation and get a solution it was time to leave. To my amazement there were a lot of other people around and everyone just turned a blind eye.

Talking to a few other fisho's this is not the fist time it has happened and it clearly won't be the last.

I have fished this area for over 20 years and never had a problem with fellow fisho's respecting every other fisho's space.

Not really sure if I want to go back on a busy night, just don't need shit like this.

Edited by Renegade460
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• Renegade460 changed the title to Narrabeen Lake - Intimidation by other fisho's

It’s that crazy time of year mate! The entitlements of some people amaze me! All we can do is lead by example and stay true to our own morals. If it makes you feel any better, it happens whilst boating too! Have had people anchor literally 10ft in front of me as I drifted. I just move on! Only ever worry about the things you can control. Hopefully your next outing is a better one! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

It’s that crazy time of year mate! The entitlements of some people amaze me! All we can do is lead by example and stay true to our own morals. If it makes you feel any better, it happens whilst boating too! Have had people anchor literally 10ft in front of me as I drifted. I just move on! Only ever worry about the things you can control. Hopefully your next outing is a better one! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks mate. The thing that got me was inferred threat of physical violence if I didn't move. Bit hard to defend yourself when it's 1 v's 6, no matter how in the right you are it's not worth it.

Might head down later night if the wind drops.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Discretion is the better part of valor.  You were never going to win and the greatest issue is when they encouraged their children to be part of this intimidation.  What  lesson in life are they teaching them? :insane:

My thoughts exactly. I think my own kids would pull me up if I ever wanted to try such a thing (of course I wouldn’t).

This story made my blood boil a little as I’ve had similar experiences, but I’m glad you took the high road and moved on. Besides, you know the lake well and I’m sure you’ll find quieter spots to fish.

• Like 1

Sucks you had to go through that mate. Fishing a wharf or something small would be understandable but when they’ve got a lake and so much room to fish but decide to fish right next to you because one of them caught fish in that spot 😂 just gotta be the better person and move on I guess

Edited by Ali2196
  • Like 1