Penrith Trout!!

James  Clain

After hearing of some trout being caught in Penrith again I headed down for a flick. I've always wanted to catch a trout in Penrith as they seem like quite an exotic catch from an area that is known for hot and dry weather but with Warragamba dam releasing even more water (and trout) into the system, there seems to be trout everywhere once again.  Lots of missing scales seem to indicate the fish had a rough time going over the wall or perhaps its the heat?

image.thumb.png.ef921f363f654c12fe73f4011795545b.png

• Like 6

Some wonderful footage there James, subbed. I’ve not fished a dam before, so the fish hold on the top lip there ?
Must be quite the effort for them to hold in such fast running water. 

With the roosta are you just fast retrieving along the dam edge or were you mixing in pops/splashes as well there? 

I’ve been throwing the roosta 80 around a bit lately but am yet to catch anything on it.

Edited by Mike Sydney

Just now, Mike Sydney said:

Some wonderful footage there James, subbed. I’ve not fished a dam before, so the fish hold on the top lip there ?
Must be quite the effort for them to hold in such fast running water. 

With the roosta are you just fast retrieving along the dam edge or were you mixing in pops/splashes as well there? 

I’ve been throwing the roosta 80 around a bit lately but am yet to catch anything on it.

That was actually an old hardbody lure from my tackle-box. I think trout are pretty good at sitting in fast water. I saw some come up for a guy t-bagging a lure just at his feet above the waterfall so it's definitely not an issue for them.  Thanks for the sub!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Great work if you have a boat head way upstream to the small spillway much bigger fish. Try using tassie devils, spinners and daiwa double clutch, seen 50 + cm fish caught 

Thanks bro, I might give it a try. Is that the small weir just up from mulgoa? 

Edited by James Clain