Beecroft Peninsula - Wednesday 29 December

Edward1995

*** edit***
Swell’s still to large  maybe later in the week 

————————————————

Hi all, 

Is anyone else interested in hitting up the northern ledges of Beecroft Peninsula tomorrow - i'm thinking from Mermaid's Inlet north to little Beecroft (how far north depends on the conditions) 

I'd be looking to go in the morning

CFB605D7-4B26-4EAF-82A7-28015D14444A.thumb.jpeg.9cde1b90c6748e4052f8089c1e966e13.jpeg

Edited by Edward1995

6 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

A bit too far for me to walk in these days, but used to fish that area all the time in the 1970's and 80's. Lots of good and a few bad memories. Lost a good mate out there to a cliff fall.

Let's know how you get on if you go.

Can't do the walk in anymore either. Late 1970's use to to go down as a junior of Mascot Anglers Club. My mentor Louie was a snapper champion of Beecroft. Salted tuna cubes and a simple 4 Oz snapper  lead rig and his impressive casts of 120M or so. Witnessed big kingies and tuna taken off the platform live baiting while in close in the wash there were always bream and trevally as well as luderick to be had. Looking at the current weather maps it looks like an east coast low may come down the coast in the new year which will bring up some big seas down there if it eventuates. We had an inter club challenge I think over an Easter in the late 1970's when an east coast low come down past Nowra and some of our club members were camping over night in the cave on Beecroft. We walked in on the Sunday morning and the seas were HUGE. When we got there it was unfishable so everyone basically came out for a chat and decision was made to pack up. Then a mother of all swells started building out to sea and started to cap and rolled in like a huge wave you'd normally see on the beach. EVERYONE started running back to the highest part of the ledge and even back up the inlet onto the track into the spot. Needless to say anything and everything still on the ledge or in the cave was smashed and sucked back out to sea. Those fishermen who were camping I know were very lucky we were there and that we basically got them out of the cave area...........

We ended up around at The Tubes where there were catching BIG everything. I mean we were catching 2-3kg trevally which were being put out as live baits...........

Those were the days.......

Jim

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

A bit too far for me to walk in these days, but used to fish that area all the time in the 1970's and 80's. Lots of good and a few bad memories. Lost a good mate out there to a cliff fall.

Let's know how you get on if you go.

I gave it a miss as the only swell reports I could get showed big surf

Is there anywhere around Jervis Bay you’d be fishing land based this time of year? 

If the swell is that big that Mermaids (we always called it Big Beecroft) is underwater, everywhere else on the east side will be unfishable. As @jotsaid, possibly The Tubes, but even there is open to south swells and could be underwater.

In conditions like that Warrain Beach, stretching around towards Culburra is protected by the headland and quite fishable. Grab some worms or pippies and have a go for whiting, bream and flathead, or tie a metal on and spin up a few salmon.

If you're after something a bit bigger and you can get some fresh bait, now is a great time of year to fish the beach for jews and small bronzies around dawn and dusk. Salmon and tailor slabs do well and if you can't catch one of those, a pilchard is worth a soak.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jot said:

Can't do the walk in anymore either. Late 1970's use to to go down as a junior of Mascot Anglers Club. My mentor Louie was a snapper champion of Beecroft. Salted tuna cubes and a simple 4 Oz snapper  lead rig and his impressive casts of 120M or so. Witnessed big kingies and tuna taken off the platform live baiting while in close in the wash there were always bream and trevally as well as luderick to be had. Looking at the current weather maps it looks like an east coast low may come down the coast in the new year which will bring up some big seas down there if it eventuates. We had an inter club challenge I think over an Easter in the late 1970's when an east coast low come down past Nowra and some of our club members were camping over night in the cave on Beecroft. We walked in on the Sunday morning and the seas were HUGE. When we got there it was unfishable so everyone basically came out for a chat and decision was made to pack up. Then a mother of all swells started building out to sea and started to cap and rolled in like a huge wave you'd normally see on the beach. EVERYONE started running back to the highest part of the ledge and even back up the inlet onto the track into the spot. Needless to say anything and everything still on the ledge or in the cave was smashed and sucked back out to sea. Those fishermen who were camping I know were very lucky we were there and that we basically got them out of the cave area...........

We ended up around at The Tubes where there were catching BIG everything. I mean we were catching 2-3kg trevally which were being put out as live baits...........

Those were the days.......

Jim

Great story Jim.

Remember that huge boulder that sat in front of the cave? I couldn't believe that after a massive swell back in the mid 80's, that rock had been washed into the ocean. The power of the water running up to the cave must have been phenomenal.

On 12/30/2021 at 7:26 AM, Green Hornet said:

If the swell is that big that Mermaids (we always called it Big Beecroft) is underwater, everywhere else on the east side will be unfishable. As @jotsaid, possibly The Tubes, but even there is open to south swells and could be underwater.

In conditions like that Warrain Beach, stretching around towards Culburra is protected by the headland and quite fishable. Grab some worms or pippies and have a go for whiting, bream and flathead, or tie a metal on and spin up a few salmon.

If you're after something a bit bigger and you can get some fresh bait, now is a great time of year to fish the beach for jews and small bronzies around dawn and dusk. Salmon and tailor slabs do well and if you can't catch one of those, a pilchard is worth a soak.

Hit it up this arvo.  One good sized Trev, big surf and a shocking wind.  I could only fish the highest part of Mermaids Inlet. 

• Like 1