So I took the yak out for my first time up Cowan Creek

GoldenHourFishing

So I had planned to take the yak out to a new body of water (New via yak not land based) original thread here -

I got there about 7am, when I got there I was greeted by a fellow fisho who gave me a few pointers about the area, gotta love fellow fishos. Anyway the weather man was wrong as usual. It started pissing down as I arrived, then cleared up as I got into the water. I paddled out to open water and started to scan my surroundings, being an urban fisho there wasnt as much structure as I was used to so I started casting at droppoffs. Nothing for the first 40 mins or so, So I kept paddling. Eventually I found a large sand flat. I know sand flats so I started casting topwater. Heaps of small tailor. A seemingly endless supply. Got a couple of pinkies too. Anyway I bumped into the fisho again and had a good convo. If you are around John thanks for the tips and the story about the 75cm topwater flattie you caught. Turns out one of its sisters took a liking to my bent minnow.

• Like 7

Thanks for sharing your kayak fishing adventure with us GHF. The video is brilliant, hook ups galore shown from water level... CLASS. Can you give us the lowdown on the gear you used please? Always great when you meet someone who is willing to share their local knowledge with you, isn't it? I subscribed to your channel, about the nearest I'll get to fishing for a while as my local river is in flood.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for sharing your kayak fishing adventure with us GHF. The video is brilliant, hook ups galore shown from water level... CLASS. Can you give us the lowdown on the gear you used please? Always great when you meet someone who is willing to share their local knowledge with you, isn't it? I subscribed to your channel, about the nearest I'll get to fishing for a while as my local river is in flood.

Cheers, bn

Hey Neil

I typically fish really light, if Im going for surface I will up the leader to 10lb mono. The fish dont care and it doesnt stop the hookup rate. You also have way less chance of getting snipped by a little chopper.

The rod Im using for topwater is an atomic arrows estuary 701 ultra light paired with a stradic 2500, very tippy and great for chucking topwater. Dont let this rods ultra light rating fool you, I landed my pb aussie salmon on topwater it came in at 65cms. Cant say enough good things about the arrows rods, will definitely get another one.

The other setup I used briefly was a Daiwa TD SOL 701 2-4kgs paired saltist backbay 3000md which is an import reel. Its spooled with 10lb nomad pandora, I usually use it for bass and flathead.

2 hours ago, GoldenHourFishing said:

Hey Neil

I typically fish really light, if Im going for surface I will up the leader to 10lb mono. The fish dont care and it doesnt stop the hookup rate. You also have way less chance of getting snipped by a little chopper.

The rod Im using for topwater is an atomic arrows estuary 701 ultra light paired with a stradic 2500, very tippy and great for chucking topwater. Dont let this rods ultra light rating fool you, I landed my pb aussie salmon on topwater it came in at 65cms. Cant say enough good things about the arrows rods, will definitely get another one.

The other setup I used briefly was a Daiwa TD SOL 701 2-4kgs paired saltist backbay 3000md which is an import reel. Its spooled with 10lb nomad pandora, I usually use it for bass and flathead.

Thanks very much for filling in the blanks. Your description of the gear which you use indicates more to me than what it (actually) is. It shows that you are selective about what you choose to use, which, in turn, indicates your level of expectation and ability. Thankyou, I'll look forward to reading your next posts. bn

• 2 weeks later...