What rod for spinning tailor off beach with a Shimano Stradic 4000

ChalkMyCue

Hi guys and gals,

I just bought myself a Shimano Stradic FL Spinning Reel 4000 XG and want to know what rod I should get to go with it. I will be putting 20lb braid on it and mainly spinning for tailor and salmon off the beach with the usual metal slugs. Any ideas? Budget is around $300 or less. Cheers

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.

I do a lot of beach fishing.

I have a Penn Prevail 2  12ft and a new Veritas 4.0 12ft 3pce. 2021 model. All white in colour.

Both great rods.

I have a 4000 on one and a 5000 on the other.

Shop around for a good price.

You should be able to buy around the $200 mark.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 1

Not that I could really give you broad advice on the topic but I was in a very similar situation to you 18 months ago, I ended up getting a liquid oxygen (lox) rod and was extremely impressed, by far my favourite rod (and I have quite a few now lol....)

Walked into my local chasing a penn prevail 2 and left with the lox instead.

It's an absolute pleasure to cast with and have no problems casting with it for hours on end.

Not sure on the exact model of mine, it's 11ft6 though, I'll be home later and I'll check & report back. Lox also have a flat rate warranty fee of $90 I believe, if anything ever happens to the rod they will fix it for that flat rate and mail it back to you. Regardless of reason - even if you smash a rod tip in the car door etc

Edited by Berrero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChalkMyCue said:

Hi guys and gals,

I just bought myself a Shimano Stradic FL Spinning Reel 4000 XG and want to know what rod I should get to go with it. I will be putting 20lb braid on it and mainly spinning for tailor and salmon off the beach with the usual metal slugs. Any ideas? Budget is around $300 or less. Cheers

I wanted to be able to reach some of the schools busting up in Sydney just outside the range of my go to outfits so put together a nice little outfit consisting of

Shimano Stradic 4000 FK (I've had it for a for a few years and decided it would be great for this purpose so I stripped off the old line).

Frogleys offshore Atomic ArrowZ rod 9 foot 2 piece line rating 14-25lb and 20 to 50 gram lure rating which I picked up for about $130. Think it is the AAS-290SS Shore Spin

For the line I went a bit more expensive and got some skinny 10lb jigging braid (colour changes every 10m) which allows me to see how far each lure is casting. I can't remember which brand but to date I have been really happy with it. I have about 300m on the spool. If you are only chasing tailor and salmon you should be able to get away with a lighter braid with a benefit of increased casting distance.

The leader I am running is 20 to 30lb.

With a 40gram metal slice type lure 80 to 85m is pretty easy to get. With a tail wind and giving that bit of extra punch I can push it a touch over the 100m.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

I do a hell of a lot of spinning for tailor and salmon off the beach and all the above advice is good.

Personally, I like a rod between 2.5 and 3.0 metres and one that is getting good reviews in your price range (just) is the Daiwa Overthere 103MH, rated to cast 15-60g lures.

You'll tire quickly casting a longer, heavier rod and find your distance and accuracy will suffer considerably.

If you haven't bought the braid already, consider @DerekD's advice and consider going lighter than 20lb. For the record, I'm loving PE1.5 Yozuri, Duel hardcore X8 that I buy from Japan. I've tried a lot of braids and this stuff is up there with the best and damned cheap when buying from overseas.

• Like 3

Hey @ChalkMyCue, I’ve got 2 Arrowz rods and 3 Veritas rods and never had a problem with either of them and they get lent out to many different anglers, mostly newbies. If you buy one and have problems with either model, they should be replaced under warranty. However, I reckon if they break it is mostly user error and the users might be “high sticking” them Most modern rods are strong, but won’t handle being hit against a hard surface (or stepped on), when I’ve returned damaged rods they have always been replaced (usually the top section if available), but this hasn’t happened that often and I fish 3 or 4 times a week, so my rods get a hammering, but gear is always washed and cleaned after every use.

My favourite beach rod is an old Butterworth MT 7144 blank that I built  myself and is a faultless performer that I love to use, but I doubt you’d find one now (mine is over 40 years old) and there are many that have better performance specifications. But hey - “if it works, what replace it”.

The Stradic is a brilliant reel for the money and pretty much the same as the new, but lighter Vanford. For beach fishing though, I much prefer mono’ rather than braid. I was flicking lures on the beach yesterday and only had braid on the 400 reel I was using and reinforced in me that although very stretchy, far few issues with wind knots and tangles. (But I. A bit of a mug on the beach)

Edited by Pickles
Spelling

Just adding a bit more info.

I use good quality Mono at the beach.

I also have a 13Ft. MT6144. Great beach rod but in saying that the new generation of beach rods are a lot lighter and very strong. I use Penn reels and have no problems with them.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, thepud said:

I have had two atomic arrows, both snapped in exactly the same spot.  I can recommend the Veritas.

Which model were they and where exactly did they snap. I own 5 Atomic Arrowz in various configurations and to date have not had a problem recommending them to others. Mine is not a big enough sample to know if there are inherent faults so I'm very interested in what the underlying cause might be. Was it when you were casting or fighting the fish? Were you using lures within the recommended lure rating for the rods?

Thanks for the effort in all the replies guys. I was thinking of something between 8-10ft and super light. I couldn’t find an offshore Atomic ArrowZ rod in a 9 foot, just 7ft but I’m thinking of the 8’4 6-10kg Penn Prevail II? Would this suit the reel with 15lb braid?

5 hours ago, ChalkMyCue said:

Thanks for the effort in all the replies guys. I was thinking of something between 8-10ft and super light. I couldn’t find an offshore Atomic ArrowZ rod in a 9 foot, just 7ft but I’m thinking of the 8’4 6-10kg Penn Prevail II? Would this suit the reel with 15lb braid?

I'm not familiar with the rod so what is the lure rating? Something in the 15 to 60 gram lure rating should match up with the 4000 reel. Final test would be to stick the reel on it and see if it balances and looks right.

Just to throw another option into the mix, one of my mates bought the Shimano ColtSniper on special and I have the odd pang of envy when I see him punching lures out on that.

If you want to push the distance a little further I'd still go lighter on the braid as it usually over tests.

6 hours ago, ChalkMyCue said:

Although the Penn Prevails are a little heavier than most of the other rods mentioned above, they are excellent value for money and popular among land based lure casters.

Rated at 6-10kg, that rod would suit 15lb braid perfectly.

Before selecting a rod have a good think about the lure weights you're looking at throwing, as this is just as important, if not more than selecting a matching line.

• Like 2

I went shopping for sinkers.

Picked up a Samaki Gen3 9ft 8-15 kilo spin rod on special.

Fitted a 4000 spin reel and put on a Halco twisty and 12lb mono.

Seas were up, but this combo casts a country mile.

Very happy.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Similar here @RebelI just ordered an Oceans Legacy, Dreamcast. 9'8", PE1.0-3.0, rated to throw 25-60g.

I was missing a rod in my quiver to throw 50g slugs and this will fit the bill nicely.

Looking to match it with a Stradic SW 4000 or 5000. As there's 130g difference in weights between these 2 reels, I'll wait until I get the rod and see which reel balances out the best. 

• Like 1

Ok guys. Thanks again for the advice on all the rods. I ended up buying a Daiwa Over There 109MH PE1.0-2.5 with a 15-60gm cast weight. It  balances perfect with my Stradic FL 4000XG which I ended up putting 15lb Daiwa J Grand 8x braid on. 
As soon as I picked up the rod from the rack I put on my reel and it felt so good I didn’t bother looking at anything else. With a short leader of 20lb it’ll be perfect for throwing a variety of chromes and poppers for tailor, salmon and bonito. Haven’t christened it yet but wish me luck! Tight lines!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ChalkMyCue said:

Ok guys. Thanks again for the advice on all the rods. I ended up buying a Daiwa Over There 109MH PE1.0-2.5 with a 15-60gm cast weight. It  balances perfect with my Stradic FL 4000XG which I ended up putting 15lb Daiwa J Grand 8x braid on. 
As soon as I picked up the rod from the rack I put on my reel and it felt so good I didn’t bother looking at anything else. With a short leader of 20lb it’ll be perfect for throwing a variety of chromes and poppers for tailor, salmon and bonito. Haven’t christened it yet but wish me luck! Tight lines!

Great choice all round. There are so many good outfits out there and sometimes one in particular just feels right in your hand. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hopefully the wet summer doesn't change things, as in around 4 weeks time the big tailor are due to start running up the coast.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:47 PM, DerekD said:

Which model were they and where exactly did they snap. I own 5 Atomic Arrowz in various configurations and to date have not had a problem recommending them to others. Mine is not a big enough sample to know if there are inherent faults so I'm very interested in what the underlying cause might be. Was it when you were casting or fighting the fish? Were you using lures within the recommended lure rating for the rods?

Sorry mate, I can't recall model etc, but Arrowz looked at them and stated that there was a fault.  Both snapped about third run from the top. There were similar complaints on line at the time.  Bad batch maybe, as when I purchased them I was told they were batting above their league compared to cost.

2 hours ago, thepud said:

Sorry mate, I can't recall model etc, but Arrowz looked at them and stated that there was a fault.  Both snapped about third run from the top. There were similar complaints on line at the time.  Bad batch maybe, as when I purchased them I was told they were batting above their league compared to cost.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I got my son a Daiwa Saltist Coastal x 802 which has been fantastic over the past two years. I would love one myself as I prefer it over far more expensive similar classed rods I have. It casts extremely well and has landed hundreds of salmon, tailor to 97cm and even a few school sharks  of 15kg. https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/saltist-coastal

6EEE4CE8-3493-410F-9E6D-52E827AD3497_1_105_c.jpeg.0f1aceb6e4e39ef977fab274420ebd04.jpeg  66BCC9B6-4021-44BA-8EC7-2B00543C539C_1_105_c.jpeg.eac7251871a68a40cb106ebd6ac9a63b.jpeg343FA57A-BA72-4AED-80E2-6D2499A9BEBE_1_105_c.jpeg.72e3e749069dc0660859813f15309f8b.jpeg84B3A65B-9EA1-4885-B992-D8CE07B3AE60_1_105_c.jpeg.ecd9199e2b451f52b6d77aa5af386a75.jpeg64FB731E-909D-40E6-B046-726C4C1310DD_1_105_c.jpeg.f82a2731d372f7e54c7906c0516321af.jpeg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

A few years ago I went looking for a light 4 to 6 kg spin stick for the beach. 

I bought a Wilson Live fibre 10'6"    4 to 6 kg.     Matched to a 4000 stradic fk. 15 lb braid. ( breaks at over 20 lb )

Almost a one handed outfit. Super light !   Spin all day with it !!    Perfection !!    Backs up as a great Bait rod too !!

6 kg is plenty for Salmon and Tailor !!  But put 300 meters of Braid on it. 125 or so isn't enough !! Howard.

• 3 months later...