Exploring Deniliquin

big Neil

Just returned from a trip to Deniliquin in s/w NSW where I explored the Edward River. Fishing here (Murrumbidgee River) is still impossible but Deni is a good option being only 3hrs drive away.

Arrived late morning on Tuesday and explored a section of river for about 5 hours. Fished a few spots, hot day, and no shade anywhere. Managed a couple of Carp and Silver Perch on worms. (NO COD). Wednesday morning, I was out early but had no bites for 3 hours. I tried worms, cheese, shrimps...fish not biting. About 10am they started biting and in a flurry of bites I managed to get a few Cod, a Trout Cod, a couple of Silver Perch and several Carp. They shut down again about midday and despite moving several times and using a few lures and spinnerbaits ZILCH. Had a brief break and finished the day fishing from the bank till about 8pm...still nothing!

On Thursday I caught up with a friend (local) at about 9am. Fishing was similar to the previous day with plenty of Cod and a few Trout Cod caught in a 2 hour window, mostly on cheese. We fished all day and the only bites were the annoying Silver Perch. My mate persisted in fishing for these but I couldn't be bothered targeting them. Unless you use light gear and small hooks with small baits, they are just a bloody nuisance. Anyway we had a good day exploring areas that he wouldn't normally access, as he doesn't have a boat.

Friday morning we hit a new area that I thought would produce some Cod and maybe some Yellowbelly. We were on the water by 8.30 and it was a very fishy area. Forecast was for thunder storms and possible rainfall. We soon got into the Cod and Trout Cod, even a few Silver Perch. Stand out bait was (again) cheese although we caught fish on Salami, cheese, and worms. Didn't even need shrimps. The fishing was red hot until the thunderstorm hit about 10am, and with the lightning and torrential rain it was too dangerous to continue fishing. We waited it out for an hour but it was set in for the day. We packed up with the fish still hot on the bite and we soaked to the skin.

OBSERVATIONS: Every fish caught was in excellent condition which indicates a very healthy river system. They were all well fed. The accepted idiom that Cod come on the bite when a thunderstorm is imminent was substantiated AGAIN. I have never had this disproved in over 20 years of Cod fishing. The wildlife in this area is abundant and a lot tamer than in the area where I generally fish. Lastly, but definitely not least, I will head back there while the 'Bidgee is unfishable.

As usual some photos of a very enjoyable (abbreviated) trip...Can you see a face in the first pic?

203407896_IMG_3609(1)rs.thumb.jpg.911c7001ac13b4ddd69367fc48f8377d.jpg

2030864706_IMG_3595(1)rs.thumb.jpg.914fb80664bf0e7eab19be87b1fefa28.jpg

1162347649_IMG_3598(1)rs.thumb.jpg.326bab16db7de018c2b31da240d38117.jpg

1530360932_IMG_3613(2)rs.jpg.24c175eb9a9b17d1f0f88b08fdf62b45.jpg

656072557_IMG_3591(2)rs.jpg.74eb7ed5d756236ecd9587499fccd1c5.jpg

1790724358_IMG_3608(1)rs.thumb.jpg.f04b94fcb540490337d5fa5313ae0718.jpg

1742238745_IMG_3606(1)rs.thumb.jpg.99aaa5205b33413c9d37fa33a0a47740.jpg

Cheers, bn

• Like 9

Good to hear you are getting out Neil.

Though I've never fished for cod and barely have any freshwater experience, even I've heard of the saying '1020 cod aplenty'. It seems your experience flies in the face of this, doesn't it? Always interesting how us anglers have our biases; if we only fish when the barometer is high, that's the only time we're going to catch fish!

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great time Neil, that is, when the fish were biting. Plenty of wildlife scooting about as well.

As a side issue, many years ago in Port Hacking when a southerly wind change hit around sunset, and the tide was running in, my mate and I would head to our secret spot and anchor. Just about every boat would head in, leaving us un-disturbed to bounce around in the wind chop, but the jewies would be on the bite. Just need that southerly buster to blow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ganguddy Goodoo said:

Our inland rivers are so under appreciated. Thanks for posting bN.

No worries, they sure are. Heaps of people still using the Edward River for their Summer recreation...camping, caravanning, fishing, swimming, water skiing, bush walking. Alas, many decision makers aren't even aware of the significant importance of the inland rivers, to local communities.

You been out lately? bn

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

No worries, they sure are. Heaps of people still using the Edward River for their Summer recreation...camping, caravanning, fishing, swimming, water skiing, bush walking. Alas, many decision makers aren't even aware of the significant importance of the inland rivers, to local communities.

You been out lately? bn

It has been quite on the fishing front Neil. Trying to get my kids outside doing something active so lots of mountain biking and some surfing when we have gotten down the coast. Had an afternoon session at Windang after Christmas with about 20 thousand other people. Too crowded to be enjoyable. Also took the yak into the upper Clyde one evening last week and got onto a few small bass. Hopefully the Bidgee will settle down a bit soon so you can fish your local again.

• Thanks 1

Great fish and pics Neil.

It doesn't get any better than catching up with an old mate and bagging a few fish.

Straight away your pic of the face in the tree reminded me of an old favourite down here in the Shoalhaven. The "bum tree" was well known down this way and sadly cut down a few years back, labeled as a traffic hazard.

large.jpg

• Like 1