Mac Tuna or Frigate Mackerel. (Frigate Mackerel)

nal

Question

Hey all,

I recently caught a small tuna species out of a bustup in middle harbour but not sure if it is a frigate mackerel or a Mac Tuna, I am leading towards a frigate mackerel but have been told otherwise from other people, so any help will be great.

10EFC755-1FD9-435B-A9BA-6BDE0BDDE739.jpeg

5 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, noelm said:

Frigate, Mac Tuna have "spots" on the belly near the pectoral  fin, and grow much larger.

Yeah thanks, thought so but just had to make sure as other people had told me otherwise. Thanks for the help

Im quite sure i didnt even know they were called Frigate Mackeral until i was about 18 and had caught hundreds of them, the Central coast locals (where i learnt to fish) called them leadies and bonito were called horsies (as in horse mackeral). Frigates were, and remain one of my favourite fish-nice to see them come in early this year. I used to time the runs after Australia Day , a nice arvo at the Haven at Terrigal with the north east sea breeze pushing bait and frigates into the rock wall , a light spin stick and a few small metals was a great way to spend a few hours and collect some excellent bait. 

• Like 1