Reel bearings

Hi

At Christmas I got a new Daiwa Tierra 2000 reel. I noticed that’s it’s only got 5 bearings and 5.3:1 ratio. My older Pflueger Supreme reel (similar size) has 9 bearings and a ratio of 6.2:1. I was surprised to see the Daiwa reel has less bearings and lower ratio than the Pflueger reel. Has technology improved that 9 bearings are no longer needed?

Does it matter? if the reel performs as expected for the price paid, and it wasn't advertised as having more bearings, then that's just how it is, some reels will have even less bearings.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

My opinion is that number of bearings in a reel is a marketing gimic. Quality of bearings over number of bearings. More moving parts tend to more points of failure. Some shimano reels are clones of one another with different colour/spool design and plastics bushings instead of bearings

and there are few types of bearings out there. Not happy with how “smooth” it winds? Upgrade to ceramic coated bearings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess in a basic way, more bearings equals more cost, more cost possibly equals better quality, that said, a well made, suitable bush can and will last a lot longer than a rubbish bearing full of salt water or sand.

Agree with the comments here regarding quality of bearings, and overall smoothness of the reel. As for the retrieve ratio, higher isn’t always better. I generally like a lower gear ratio for the lure fishing I do as it compliments my slower twitching retrieves. A faster gear ratio would generally be suited to higher speed spinning, or people who prefer a faster retrieve.

Don't read into it too much. If the reel feels good in the hand, performs the job you got it for and is a pleasure to use then you’ve made the right choice.

• Thanks 1