Stradic versus Vanford

Mullatt

Hi all,

I'm looking at adding a new reel to my tackle bag. Will be used for light estuary, possibly calm beach for bread and butter species. Originally was going to get the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500FB but have researched the newer Shimano Vanford 2500 HG and now not sure. The Vanford claims to have a few more features plus also uses the Stradic body and also claims to be lighter to turn and feel. Guess I'm just looking for first hand recommendations/observations of the two from those that may have used/own both. I'm a little torn between "stick with the tried and proven Stradic, that's been around for ages" or "Get the Vanford as its apparently an improvement on something that was already great".  Price is almost identical, so that's not an issue. Appreciate any advice comments from those that know heaps more than me.

Thanks 

Dave

13 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

My thoughts with reels are more features for the same price often means poorer quality features, not always the case

Yep agree that can be the case, with lots of things not just reels. Have you had/used either of these models, in any size? 

I own both reels and logged quite a considerable amount of hours on both.

While they are comparable and roughly equivalent my personal preference and recommendation would be for the vanford. 

The ci4's have been around for a while but the vanford have been built from the ci4 body so there is little to worry about it being new & 'untested'.

But as with all things it's really down to personal preference

• Like 2

Ive got several stardics, including three ci4 models and love using them. The 3000 ci4 which is the same as the 2500 only with a larger capacity spool has handled all manor of fish from long tail tunas (northern bluefin) tailor, salmon and plenty of bycatch species while using plastics intended for snapper. I also have the fl stradics and older versions which I prefer over the saragosa.

Haven't used the the model so can't comment on that.

• Like 1

I have put many hours through the vanford 2500 and the Stradic FL 2500 and I can honestly say the stradic FL feels like a higher quality reel at a lower price point. The vanford is definitley lighter but it also feels and looks cheaper. Theres even a visible assembly seem down the middle of the reel on the vanford. I dunno to me it just doesnt feel like it warrants the price point. But thats just my personal opinion.

Edited by GoldenHourFishing
  • Like 2

The Stradic Ci4+ should be phasing out, and the Vanford F filling that void. The way I look at the Vanford, its somewhat a hybrid between the Stradic Ci4 & Vanquish (JDM reel). The concept is more towards the Finesse light duty range, so I wouldnt really compare either 2 reels against the FL, where it is built for a slightly heavier duty type role.

I own both Vanquish and Stradic Ci4+, but was excited when they came up with the Vanford, but as I have no reasoning for that reel, I hadnt purchased one. If Id had to chose one between the two, I'd go Vanford as it should feel like a cheap version of the Vanquish. Low interia and ultra smooth for finesse/light type applications.

Regarding weight, it is roughly 10g lighter, however sometimes too light can be a nuisance as finding the right rod to balance it when can be a pain. I find this is most so the case for the larger size reels in that light range.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Berrero said:

I own both reels and logged quite a considerable amount of hours on both.

While they are comparable and roughly equivalent my personal preference and recommendation would be for the vanford. 

The ci4's have been around for a while but the vanford have been built from the ci4 body so there is little to worry about it being new & 'untested'.

But as with all things it's really down to personal preference

Interesting @Berrero thats exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks

Vanquishes are grey market reels here. So theyre not as easily obtainable compared to stradics or vanfords where you can easily walk into a store and find one.

yeah in the light game range 10g isnt much and wont have any affect.

All the best with making a decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob81 said:

Vanquishes are grey market reels here. So theyre not as easily obtainable compared to stradics or vanfords where you can easily walk into a store and find one.

yeah in the light game range 10g isnt much and wont have any affect.

All the best with making a decision.

Don’t forget about warranty also

• Like 1

The Stradic might have been around for a while but it is a proven reel, similar to the Sienna, been around forever and still going strong.

Some manufactures produce a new reel and it is a dud.

I have four Fin-Nor reels. I bought the LT100 to start with and ended up buying the rest. Bullet proof reels.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Few months back I purchased Vanford 2500 and a 3000 Stradic, with the Vanford replacing my Sedona on my bream gear.

For me, the Vanford is ‘just Ok’ and doesn’t feel like that much of an upgrade over the Sedona whereas the Stradic really does ‘feel’ like a top class reel. 

I have buyers remorse on the Vanford, really only choosing it over the 2500 Stradic due to the colour and if I had my time again I’d be going the Stradic.

Specifically on the issues with my Vanford - the ‘line keeper’ doesn’t hold the line tightly and I often get it out of the car with the line now free and tangling in the spool, and the handle unscrews too easily / doesn’t tighten enough. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Sydney said:

Few months back I purchased Vanford 2500 and a 3000 Stradic, with the Vanford replacing my Sedona on my bream gear.

For me, the Vanford is ‘just Ok’ and doesn’t feel like that much of an upgrade over the Sedona whereas the Stradic really does ‘feel’ like a top class reel. 

I have buyers remorse on the Vanford, really only choosing it over the 2500 Stradic due to the colour and if I had my time again I’d be going the Stradic.

Specifically on the issues with my Vanford - the ‘line keeper’ doesn’t hold the line tightly and I often get it out of the car with the line now free and tangling in the spool, and the handle unscrews too easily / doesn’t tighten enough. 

Thanks mate. I'm pretty well convinced i will go with tried and tested Stradic. Appreciate your input.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well I ended up going with the Stradic 2500. Feels awesome .....I'll be giving it a good test the week after next as we're going to Sussex Inlet for a week and weather permitting hope to get the boat out onto St Georges Basin. Haven't fished there before so looking forward to exploring the area.

Thanks to all that contributed and gave me feedback and experience on the Stradic, very much appreciated.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2