Dollie’s, kings and an usual capture

Pickles

Headed out at 4 am this morning with @Hads to hit the run of Dollie’s at the Sydney FAD after a great day on kings yesterday. We got a feed of Dollie’s, but the kings were all rats - some (on 2” & 3”metals) the biggest going 50.

Most of the legal fish were caught on live Yakkas (they have been small & easy to catch lately). We burlied up and started to catch what I thought was a striped trevally, but sent a pic to my mate a fishing guide (Fishabout tours) we sent to a buddy in Fisheries, who ID’d it as  juvenile Hifin Amberjack (pic attached).

B27519DF-C4D8-4191-B0A2-F60553DB90B5.jpeg

• Like 11

On 1/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, noelm said:

There was one posted here a few days ago for identification. What colour was inside the mouth? Not too sure about the High Fin Amberjack business.

I thought it a curious classification also - but he was a fisheries “expert” and the only thing Ive caught offshore like this before is “Happy moments” (black Trevally) and it definitely wasn’t one of those - different fin size, shape and placement.

Juveniles are very similar but I recon like the others it’s a Cottonmouth Trevally because of the prominent Scutes on the tail wrist, Highfin Amberjack also have a very obvious Forked Caudal fin.  ( Tail Fin) Cottonmouth Trevally don’t.

My thoughts anyway. 🙂

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, noelm said:

Does this look familiar?

image.jpeg.9048c0923d55920c5e6becf99ddef991.jpeg

Noel - that certainly looks like the same fish - goes to show fisheries “sometimes” get it wrong 😑 

thanks for the feedback - I’ll send to you next time.

• Like 1

They are kind of unusual captures down this way, but still common enough to know what they are (if you get what I mean) not too sure of their real locations and range, but like Cobia, Wahoo, various Mackeral and Rainbow Runners, Sweetlip and so on, you see a few every year, and it seems more and more are caught, maybe it's just warmer water, maybe it's just more boats, maybe it's just simply communication is easier, a quick picture on your phone, on to Facebook/Instagram/forum/whatever and half the world knows in a jiffy.

Great Report as usual Pickles.

Interesting colours on the Amberjack, have never seen any like that before. Have caught several in the harbour over the past 20yrs, but none like that, could be that they lose their colours as they grow.

Kind of looks like a surgeon fish, but these typically tend to be darker and the distinctive sharp spikes along each side of the fish make it easy to identify.

Dan

On 1/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, noelm said:

Does this look familiar?

image.jpeg.9048c0923d55920c5e6becf99ddef991.jpeg

Hi again Noel, attached is a pic of Juvenile Hifi Amberjack, similar but different fins and more elongated shape, so Ithink you are correct with Cottonmouth Trevally

image.jpeg.df1f0e07658af909778ef8f6ff056441.jpeg

• Like 1