Marlin are in Sydney!

wrxhoon1

I don't normally post fishing reports but I thought this was worth publishing.

With good weather despite the tsunami warning we decided to head out last Monday. Launched the GW at Ermington about 5:40 and headed straight out to the Botany Bay fads  to check the dollies. Found some small models only, we checked out a private fad more of the same so we made the call to put the spread out and  try for a beakie.

We rolled around the 12 mile finding plenty bait but no strikes . A couple hours later we had a strike but no hook up. That was encouraging so we kept at it some time later the port side short Tiagra started screaming by the time I pull the rod out a nice striped marlin put on a show.  About 30 minutes into the fight  he got tail wrapped about 100 mtrs from the boat. I slowly dragged him on the side of the boat tag him, took the hooks off and let him go to fight another day.

We trolled for at least another hour and half for one miniature  dollie, not a lot bigger than the lure.

Shortened version of the video on you tube.

The Marlin are here, get out before they move on.

The sea was much more like a summers day in the Mediterranean rather than Pacific until about 2pm. 

Edited by wrxhoon1
  • Like 15

I was a bit concerned about his health when he got tail wrapped at the end. On his last jump he fell on the line and it cut into his tail. He put a nice show before that at one stage he peeled 300 mtrs of 50 lb line. We made sure we revived him before release. 

55 minutes ago, motiondave said:

My idea of in Sydney, is in the harbour :D

not 12 miles out,

but hey, excellent stuff,

pity my boat is not big enough to get that far.

You need a bigger boat or go with someone else. Game fishing you need at least 3 on the boat, 2 is doable with auto pilot but can be hairy trying to clear the lines quickly.

I don't have a huge boat either.

1389082469_GradyWhite.thumb.jpg.9605edd893e3040d5fc08dfce55b4c0b.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Stripe Marlin.....any Marlin is a good one.  Well done to all the crew!!! The Bill Heyward Memorial Tournament is on this weekend hosted by Botany Bay GFC, so hopefully there will be some good results. Will keep you all posted.

8 minutes ago, hotbite said:

Nice Stripe Marlin.....any Marlin is a good one.  Well done to all the crew!!! The Bill Heyward Memorial Tournament is on this weekend hosted by Botany Bay GFC, so hopefully there will be some good results. Will keep you all posted.

@hotbite keep us posted with results of the tourney. Give our regards to Craig please. 

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Excellent write up!"

hotbite was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Hello Raiders

Just an update from the Bill Heyward Memorial Tournament , hosted by Botany Bay GFC last weekend , 22nd & 23rd of January.   Thirty five boats entered the tournament from various clubs from mainly the Central Zone region.  The fleet was greeted by 10 to 15 knots of southerly with 20 knot rain squalls passing through during the day. With cobalt blue water out wide , most boats pushed out to the 100 fathom line & beyond.  Some boats went to the FADs  only to find small Kingfish less than 30cm on offer. Not many Dollies to be found & what were are very small.   There was some solid bait schools from about 80 fathoms to 100 fathoms.   Nearly all the fleet saw some action. The shark boats drifting the shelf were doing really well. Stats for Saturday; 

Tag & Release : Stripe Marlin   8

Blue Marlin     2

Dolphinfish     7

Blue Sharks    3

Capture:            Tiger Shark     2

Mako  Shark   1

Sunday :  Again southerly breeze 10 knots with less rain squalls was order of the day. The warm current had pushed in closer , now 24 degrees in 50 fathoms. Fishing was quite a bit slower than Saturday as no fish reported on the first sched.  We ventured down to the southern canyons & hopefully to find a Blue Marlin. We had 27 degree water in 400 fathoms, birds & bait , looked very fishy. Caught some of the smallest Stripe Tuna on our cord line only 25cm long!!! Again the shark boats saw some good fish. Port Hacking GFC boat "Sirocco" hooked a solid shark in 220 fathoms & got towed out to 480 fathoms in an hour and a half of fighting on 15kg tackle only to pull the hook. Shattered. Another hard luck story was an angler who put the reel into "free spool" on a massive shark& the resulting birds nest ending in a bust off. Results from Sunday: 

Tag & Release: Stripe Marlin  4

Mako Shark    2

Blue Shark      1

Capture:           Tiger Shark    1

Mako Shark    1

The Tiger Shark weighed on Sunday went 358kgs on 15kg. This fish earned the boat "Reaper" (not sure of the club) a 25K cash prize. Well done to the skipper & crew, an awesome effort. All winners will be announced on the 9th of February.  Big thanks to Botany Bay GFC for hosting a great comp. 

Tight lines Raiders.......Hotbite

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Bob,

We always release Marlin unless it comes to the boat dead. I was a little concerned with this one because it got tail wrapped on his last jump. We had to hold him, swim him on the side of the boat for a while he was completely puffed. 

I don't normally post bread and butter fish captures. I thought this was worth posting and to let others know that marlin are off Sydney.  

All you blue water anglers get out there and have a go before they move up, do the miles and you will eventually be rewarded.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Great video and report Congrats..

They are out there at the minute, forget the hogwash about needing a big boat, at least 3 people, or auto pilot.. Experience is what it's all about, getting out there and giving it a go gets you that experience, for all those wondering..  We tagged and released 5-6 last year on the south coast, 2 up,( in between the crap weather we had and solo I tagged and released 3. Looking forward to the weather being kinder this year...

I have a mate who has been rregularly been getting marlin off Botany over the last few weeks.  I agree you don't need a big boat.  I have hooked a few (that jumped off) trolling for stripies and my only successful capture was from my previous 4.5 meter Quinnie on a live yakka intended for a yellowfin.  Ron 

• Like 1

The original post was a year ago, but, right now, the Marlin are in great numbers, in fairly close, around the 60-80 fathom line (that's about 120-160m to the youngsters) there was 4 taken at Shellharbour yesterday, and who knows how many just tagged/released that were not brought in.

9 hours ago, campr said:

I have a mate who has been rregularly been getting marlin off Botany over the last few weeks.  I agree you don't need a big boat.  I have hooked a few (that jumped off) trolling for stripies and my only successful capture was from my previous 4.5 meter Quinnie on a live yakka intended for a yellowfin.  Ron 

18 minutes ago, noelm said:

The original post was a year ago, but, right now, the Marlin are in great numbers, in fairly close, around the 60-80 fathom line (that's about 120-160m to the youngsters) there was 4 taken at Shellharbour yesterday, and who knows how many just tagged/released that were not brought in.

@campr and @noelm could you make a new post please :) 

We would love some current news about marlin for sure 

Cheers Donna

• Like 1