Rod selection

Bloggsy

1 hour ago, Bloggsy said:

Just getting into lure fishing with soft plastics and I am looking at a suitable rod but don't want to spend a fortune. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced rod?

I'm working on an article for this currently but still a few weeks off.

Can you give us a budget to work to? Are we talking just rod or rod, reel and line?

Edited by DerekD

Looking at the Okuma Cerros range so my next question is which one. I will mainly be targeting flathead in depths from 5 - 10 metres with Zman 2.5" and 4" soft plastics with 1/8oz - 1/4oz jig heads.

So my 2 options are CER-S-701L casting weight 1-8 g or CER-S-701ML casting weight 1-15 g

Which would be my best option please.

• Like 1

My current rod is a shimano bream raider 762 2-4kg which is my go-to outfit. Flathead are my main target, in spite of the rod name.

I also have a flathead raider 6101 which is a 3-6kg rod, which is also good. I don't use it so much however, as I don't need the extra firepower 99% of the time and I mostly fish relatively small/light lures. I bought it to target Jewies and larger flathead, but I rarely have the patience to target either :D Maybe this coming autumn I'll get it out again...

The ABU Veritas range are also very nice rods and if you find the right one for your weight/line rating, would be a great addition to your fleet.

I don't have any experience with the Okumas, but just going off the ratings, if you need 1/4 oz jigheads, then I'd choose the ML as the jighead + plastic could potentially take you above the threshold of the lighter rod.

If it was me, I'd pick the lighter rod, but I fish considerably shallower spots than you do, as a rule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

Looking at the Okuma Cerros range so my next question is which one. I will mainly be targeting flathead in depths from 5 - 10 metres with Zman 2.5" and 4" soft plastics with 1/8oz - 1/4oz jig heads.

So my 2 options are CER-S-701L casting weight 1-8 g or CER-S-701ML casting weight 1-15 g

1/4 oz jig plus a 4" plastic will be close to 15g . way over 8g !!

12 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

For starting out i'd be looking at the 1-15gm. The 1-8gm is a bit too limiting.

The other thing is both those rods are a one piece if I am reading the model number correctly. Next question - WHY??

One piece is a pain to transport and store. Get a two piece.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DerekD said:

For starting out i'd be looking at the 1-15gm. The 1-8gm is a bit too limiting.

The other thing is both those rods are a one piece if I am reading the model number correctly. Next question - WHY??

One piece is a pain to transport and store. Get a two piece.

Maybe he is leaving it on the boat? I much prefer 1 piece rods over 2 piece, Because i can leave them the boat or slap them on my roof rack. Even my b13ft beach rods

Thank you every one for your input ended up going for the CER-S-701ML casting weight 1-15 g and yes it is a 1 piece but it will stay in the boat as I am only over the road from where I will be fishing. Managed to pick the rod up for $30 off retail price.

• Like 1