Squid Games

Larkin

Gday Raiders,

Decided to go out on a squidding session today (Friday) in port hacking and bate bay.
Plan was to try out some new spots that I’ve been researching - mainly to find deep water squid spots for larger squid.

first hit up inside - bagged a few, then headed out into bate bay to try some new spots.

D079F02C-23B3-46C5-BAF3-A0C283C364FC.jpeg.d8f1ed61c0c04d31f0cc27a55d76b1d6.jpeg

The first new spot - did a couple of drifts, hooked one but lost, then landed a decent sized one and lost another good one. 

Second spot was 20m deep, there was a fair bit of drift today, so I put on a 10g yama squid head sinker. (Orange sleeve in the pic below) This got the jig down to the bottom and I was onto one. 

D285645C-6503-42C3-92D2-B74EABB73DFF.jpeg.6fbd88a379b7ecd797289fd14e6c0123.jpeg

Next drift a sergeant baker swallowed my jig - ripped it up good. 

44B5619F-CF89-490B-8386-F881CA55AA04.jpeg.c457796f354dc4bb0712885d9de7842e.jpeg

Having proven up the two new spots, I headed back in and hit up one of my go to spots for a few more.

0BE65191-2323-4C9A-ACE2-6BDE7114DC02.jpeg.6f3360679649fa49cb694875bba70a3d.jpeg

2872EC67-0846-4B70-A7FD-C17712A81BAB.jpeg.ee82ff51deeceff3da26f7f8d5e57ce1.jpeg87035804-E8FF-4B1D-9FCF-53EA9E3F1C15.jpeg.c93274673f25a579dae0d7cdb71550f1.jpeg

Tally: 10 squid, 1 x sergeant baker (bycatch) 

time: 9am - 2pm (spent a fair bit of time exploring the new spots)

place: port hacking and bate bay weed beds

lures: Pink Yama keimura size 3. White Yama Glow size 3.

Jigging technique

shallow water - long cast, two jigs, let sink 4-5 secs then wind (on this wind is when you’ll hook up) repeat two jigs and so on.

deep water - wait till reaches the bottom, two jigs then open bail arm to sink to bottom. Jig twice, wind in, then open bail arm to drop to bottom, wind in again, let drop then two jigs. Repeat.

I’ll also switch up techniques with some slow winding in between, then stop and let it drop to the bottom.
They always grab it when it’s dropping.

97EDD297-3AF7-4C1C-856B-83E6555F6613.jpeg.46e7de6eeabc17a38302131670e8ddee.jpegFE495936-B3F9-4965-B12C-40FC5CE57E1E.jpeg.393e55c9f69344299b7b8efb93026a06.jpeg
never tried baker before - filleted and skinned it like a flatty. Lots of bones - might grill on the bbq or flour and pan fry.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 9

Nice mate, great haul of squid. As I only have a tinny I tried with my dad to get some squid around the South west arm and lilli pilli to try turn into kings but had no luck, ended up pumping nippers and landing some nice fish.

• Like 1

Great report, and very informative on how you get squid in deeper water 20metres+

I have noticed the squid are much more sparse in Sydney Harbour than they were 20yrs. Probably cuase of how many people going for them now than back then. It was easy to get a dozen in 1-1.5hrs, now I am lucky to get 2-4 squid even if I put in massive 4-8hr sessions, its very hit and miss.

Dan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Top effort, looks like it made a nice feed :thumbup:

It’ll make around 3 family meals.

Tonight I made linguine & squid in a red sauce with French shallots, garlic, tinned tomatoes, basil ect. 

The plates were polished!

B328E5F1-5EFB-4656-B620-0DBF6E0BE0B2.jpeg.e9395cb53a0c50507a994b31aa57528d.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Very nice. I have noticed the squid being a bit light on recently, though I don't put in much time for them, I concentrate more on the fish.

thanks mate.

They tend to move around a bit. I’ll work different depths in certain areas until I find them. Sometimes they’re hard to find or just not there.

12 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Have you eaten the Sgt Baker as yet?  I have tried one years ago and was not impressed.

Hi Bessel, first time trying - here’s my take on it.

Floured and pan fried it up tonight. Kept it plain to get a good taste of the fish. When caught it was bled and put straight on ice.

How would i describe the meat: delicate and white. Not fishy. Nice taste.

Would I keep if I caught again: yes, but would further fillet the smaller bones out.

Any negatives: the small bones that run down the centre of the fillet. Can’t enjoy the fish because your searching for bones while you eat.

Further comments: It has a great recovery rate - most of the fish meat ends up in the fillets. 
It has a delicate flesh that probably lends itself to being cooked in a certain way. I’d probably grill the fillets next time with some garlic and herbs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super report and Super photos.

Well done.

Thank rebel

10 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Nice mate, great haul of squid. As I only have a tinny I tried with my dad to get some squid around the South west arm and lilli pilli to try turn into kings but had no luck, ended up pumping nippers and landing some nice fish.

Try any areas that are next to the main channels but out of the main current. Must have weed patches. If you catch those small snapper where your trying it’s probably not a good spot to try for squid.

always get some good fish on nippers.

or try slow trolling a live yellowtail up the Chanel to south west arm and around the moored boats in Lilly pilly. Worth a try.

10 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome trip Larkin, it's always good to add new successful spots to your kit bag! I'm going to have to dedicate a trip to squidding soon!

Been testing out new areas - trying to find those deep water spots where the giant ones are. Went through some old squidding reports on here - can’t remember the posters name, but he would catch really big squid in bate bay. I kind of know what to look for know - just have to trial all my likely spots out.

9 hours ago, Dan1979 said:

Great report, and very informative on how you get squid in deeper water 20metres+

I have noticed the squid are much more sparse in Sydney Harbour than they were 20yrs. Probably cuase of how many people going for them now than back then. It was easy to get a dozen in 1-1.5hrs, now I am lucky to get 2-4 squid even if I put in massive 4-8hr sessions, its very hit and miss.

Dan

Hi Dan, 

In the deeper water when your drifting the water depth may drop from 15 to 20m so you have to open the bail to get to the bottom.

if it’s an area that you normally would catch, try all the depths in that spot.
I do find that the difference from getting squid and getting none can be 10 meters apart.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great report Larkin 

some great information on catching squid can not wait to trying it for myself have been wanting to go after some squid for a while now but not that sure where to try or how to fish for them thanks

Thanks scooter,

There are some good informative videos on you tube. shroom does a few land based videos - in and around the hacking. Scotty lyons has a Chanel on you tube - “hook and the cook” he has done a few squidding videos also.