Dishwasher - to scrub or not to scrub?

Little_Flatty

Here's a controversial (but not serious) topic!

I have a constant argument with almost everyone I know about whether or not you need to scrub dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. I'm firmly in the 'scrub' camp, whenever the dishes have things on them like sauces, cooked rice etc.

I have a mate who swears he leaves food caked on the plates when he puts them in. I reckon he doesn't really do the dishes, or his partner scrubs them on the sly 🤣

So who here is in the scrub camp? And for those who don't scrub (and genuinely come out the other end with clean dishes), what's your secret?

Depends what dishwasher cleaner you use.

If you buy the super one from Aldi which by the way is half the price of the other two stores, you won't have to scrub them before you put them in the dishwasher.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Is the next controversial topic going to be who is a folder & who is a scruncher because I'll play in that one as I dont have a dishwasher..........................😳................:whistling:.........................😂

Well I learned during lockdown that Marie Kondo folds small items of clothing into thirds and then puts them into drawers standing up! During that period I Marie Kondoed some stuff I later needed 🤣

48 minutes ago, noelm said:

To look at it logically, any food scraps go down the drain, most just vanish, put them in the dishwasher, and all that crap gets in the filter and pump, necessitating a repair.....your choice.

That’s what I would have thought.

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Depends what dishwasher cleaner you use.

If you buy the super one from Aldi which by the way is half the price of the other two stores, you won't have to scrub them before you put them in the dishwasher.

Cheers.

I’ll have to try that next time I visit Aldi!

It's not about getting the dishes clean, it's about "issues" later, after working for decades in the repair industry I have seen it all. All that said, some things go rock hard in the boiling water of a dishwasher, egg yolk is a good one, and peanut butter, most dishwasher detergents (that some will take your skin right off) coupled with the scalding hot water, sprayed at high speed will clean almost anything packed right in a dishwasher, but, "lumps" ultimately end up in the accessible filter, some slip through into the repairmans area and end up in the pump, chewing out seals and so on. Cheap products are much the same, they will eat components until there's nothing left.

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with the Aldi supplied detergent. I have been using it for years.

Why buy the big names when they are twice the price and then some ?

There are a lot of products that go under the radar,that people don't hear about.

The word is experiment in lfe.

Cheers.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, Fab1 said:

As soon as I get a chance when she wakes up as she's exhausted I'll ask the "dishwasher" if she scrubs the dishes or not.😂🤣

I dare you to................................unless of course you've already made up your mind you want to back single life :wife:............................. 😂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

It depends how we’re using the dishwasher. Generally, I only run it once a day, or every 2nd day. I find rice, egg yolk and the like sticks on plates if left for any length of time, so we always scrape and rinse first in this scenario. We also only tend to use a short cycle at lower temperature. If we’ve had a big meal with guests and we fill it from empty and put it on straight away, just a good scrape may be enough… but only if we run it on a full hot cycle. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Berleyguts

Similar here, we have a double dish drawer gizmo (not the best device ever) but I only put it on once a day after dinner, so breakfast stuff gets "washed" first, lunch is usually just a few plates, so only a rinse maybe, dinner is a wash the lumps off, into the washer then on "eco wash" everything comes out sparkling clean.

edit...egg yolk sets like concrete!

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1