Quintrex Catch & Release installation

Salvatore

Hi all,

I've been going out a fair bit on my own in my Renegade 460 and am finding manually launching the boat and retrieving it relatively easy where there is a jetty extending from the ramp.

I'd now like to try new ramps on my own that don't seem to be suitable for manual launch and retrieve, like Murrays in Jervis Bay. I am thinking I will need a Catch and Release to be able to safely drive on to my trailer.

Question is: Is it easy to install a Quintrex Catch and Release yourself on a Renegade, and do I need to do anything special regarding the metals? Ideally I'd like to order it online and install it myself but I am not sure if this is something I could reasonably do myself and do without risking corrosion.

Thanks so much!

Salvatore

26 minutes ago, mob0103 said:

Mine is similar to this and I can drive on

Move Boat Trailers | Features and Options

Yep, thats exactly what mine looks like, except mine is single axle.

I was hoping that installing a catch and release on it and the boat would be straight forward and not cause/contribute to corrosion?

Edited by Salvatore

Not going to cause corrosion, by "catch and release" I guess you mean one of those gizmo that latch the boat to stop it sliding off when retrieved? If so, they will not cause corrosion, driving on looks easy, but it takes some practice, and sometimes expensive practice if you get it really wrong.

• Thanks 1

There is a bit to consider when driving on, first off, the trailer needs to be the right depth, not too deep, not too shallow (only experience with your setup will teach you this) don't trim the motor way up high, lots make that mistake (once again, learn with your rig) if the motor is too high, it will drive the stern straight down (on to the bottom) when you apply a bit of power. Don't keep looking back at your motor and wildly turn the wheel to compensate, try to "line up" pretty straight from a good distance from your trailer, and drive in at a reasonable speed, not too fast, but enough to maintain steering, use small corrections, wind, surge and especially a hard running current can make this tricky, launching solo you will need some kind of catch if your boat tends to just slide off the trailer, or you need to learn some acrobatic tricks to hang over the bow and hook up the winch while the motor is still at idle, in gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Not going to cause corrosion, by "catch and release" I guess you mean one of those gizmo that latch the boat to stop it sliding off when retrieved? If so, they will not cause corrosion, driving on looks easy, but it takes some practice, and sometimes expensive practice if you get it really wrong.

Thanks noelm! I have been paranoid about drilling holes or putting screws anywhere into the boat as I read about mixing metals creating rust problems. Good to hear that the installation of the catch & release shouldn't cause this problem. I assume the hardware they supply with the C&R must be some sort of galvanised metal to avoid the mixing metals issue...

20 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

Thanks noelm! I have been paranoid about drilling holes or putting screws anywhere into the boat as I read about mixing metals creating rust problems. Good to hear that the installation of the catch & release shouldn't cause this problem. I assume the hardware they supply with the C&R must be some sort of galvanised metal to avoid the mixing metals issue...

The hardware on all the versions is stainless steel.The whole units are stainless.

You will have to drill into your trailer and bow/eye of your boat when fitting any of them too.

As for corrosion it's enivitable on a painted boat that sooner or later it will strike no matter what.

That's the nature of painted ally boats hence why mine is unpainted.

A cheap/better alternative to a overpriced boat catch/latch of any sort in my opinion is a simple rope attached to trailer which you simply tie off to a cleat/rail when driving off/on.No holes in boat and your wallet stays full much longer.

Each to their own.

Good luck.

Edited by Fab1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Boat Catch at the boat show a few years ago for my 5.6 Quintrex and they're great.  They usually have a stand at the show and have a sale price.  They release to launch by driving forward a bit but I  usually prefer to launch the conventional way with a rope but drive back on.  I  consider myself to be an experienced boaty but found it a bit scary at 1st to drive on and you feel like your awfully high as you drive up.  Ron 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The result of a failed drive on retrieval to my aluminium boat when a idiot beside you decides just as you are coming on to back their boat Into the water at 100mph.

Hulls don't like scraping on trailer roller cradles.

If I had of known at the time It happened that said idiot would have a scar across his forehead to match the one on my hull.

20220126_144929.jpg

On 1/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, campr said:

I bought a Boat Catch at the boat show a few years ago for my 5.6 Quintrex and they're great.  They usually have a stand at the show and have a sale price.  They release to launch by driving forward a bit but I  usually prefer to launch the conventional way with a rope but drive back on.  I  consider myself to be an experienced boaty but found it a bit scary at 1st to drive on and you feel like your awfully high as you drive up.  Ron 

You shouldn’t drive a boat while you’re high, Ron😂😂

• Haha 2

I have no idea what is involved with the Quintrex catch release.

I do however make a very effective boat catch/release which is pretty easy to fit.

1230090415_catch1.thumb.jpg.0826a259f4629a520df93965d1db97f1.jpg

catch3.thumb.jpg.40a00b2ba5126003a723f4671d65fa2d.jpg

200438147_catchrelaxed.thumb.jpg.a8b66c2d04f97d46ce82d054516f5f2a.jpg

I make up a boat hook from Stainless Steel and bolt it onto the existing hook at the bow. I make a 6" wide catch that swings freely from the winch post and is released or catched with a spring.

Very easy to use and once used you would never go back to winching the boat on again.

Of coarse the trailer has to be suitable for drive on/off.

The photos shows the winch rope attached but this is released for launching. 

Frank

Edited by frankS