NAME AND SHAME THE WORST BOAT RAMPS IN NSW

mowie1

I would like to nominate Lake Illawarra,  Wollongong Council side the council is Not Responsible.  The Department of Crown Lands are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep. These ramps and jetties have fallen into disrepair. They are dangerous and 0ne has fallen into the lake. Most jetties are closed & ramps require an upgrade to bring close to RMS standards.     

18 minutes ago, mowie1 said:

I would like to nominate Lake Illawarra,  Wollongong Council side the council is Not Responsible.  The Department of Crown Lands are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep. These ramps and jetties have fallen into disrepair. They are dangerous and 0ne has fallen into the lake. Most jetties are closed & ramps require an upgrade to bring close to RMS standards.     

Dangerous sounds no good.

What was their response when you informed them about the danger? 

Berkeley ramp:  potholes and loose gravel, wharf to height above water 1.5m(very hard to exit or enter boat),large gap between road and wharf with narrow gangway unhand railed, no disabled access, boat parking area dirt (worn away) with large prop between bitumen road, etc. It has been brought to the attention of Crown Lands on numerous occasions sighting OHS concerns and other. The reaction was we do not have to upgrade just maintain area to a standard ??? The Crown Lands can apply to Roads and Maritime for funding to upgrade this facility. Other government and non government organisations have applied and received grants. Why not Crown Lands??? EG  Oakflats ramp is well maintained by Shellharbour Council and the received some funding from RMS.

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

Edit, I prefer Silverwater over Ermington or kissing point for exactly that reason. Silverwater has wharf right next to it. 

Yeah but Silverwater wharf doesn't float and is muddy slippery mess when low to mid tide, then also the ferries pass very close.

Ermington wharf is close enough that i can slide the boat off and throw the rope to someone or i just use the longer rope to slide the boat off and climb the ramp wall and walked the boat back.

3 minutes ago, mowie1 said:

Berkeley ramp:  potholes and loose gravel, wharf to height above water 1.5m(very hard to exit or enter boat),large gap between road and wharf with narrow gangway unhand railed, no disabled access, boat parking area dirt (worn away) with large prop between bitumen road, etc. It has been brought to the attention of Crown Lands on numerous occasions sighting OHS concerns and other. The reaction was we do not have to upgrade just maintain area to a standard ??? The Crown Lands can apply to Roads and Maritime for funding to upgrade this facility. Other government and non government organisations have applied and received grants. Why not Crown Lands??? EG  Oakflats ramp is well maintained by Shellharbour Council and the received some funding from RMS.

Oak flats ramp might "look" OK, plenty of nice picnic seats and stuff, but try to pull your boat up to the jetty, the water is at best 1 foot deep.

Hi Motiondave  Half the problem is finding out who is responsible for the area. I have been sending emails & spoken to crown lands for the past 2 years. They acknowledge that they are responsible for the area. Have drawn plan to fix problems. Just fall on deaf ears.

Gerringong boat ramp is probably the worst boat ramp i have seen. Unless the sea is flat, the ramp becomes to difficult and dangerous to use as there’s no break wall or anything to protect it. There’s also no wharf or a safe spot to park your boat whilst you park the car and trailer unless you don’t mind driving your boat up the ramp or onto the rocks…..which i don’t think people with fibreglass boats would want to do

58 minutes ago, mowie1 said:

Hi Motiondave  Half the problem is finding out who is responsible for the area. I have been sending emails & spoken to crown lands for the past 2 years. They acknowledge that they are responsible for the area. Have drawn plan to fix problems. Just fall on deaf ears.

that ramp is not to bad i get a 670 barcrusher on and off easy solo just a bit shallow on the way out trim engine up.

We have been down this "rabbit hole" before, one of the biggest issues is that when money is spent on ramps, it's often not done by people with a boat, or spent on the actual ramp, Oak Flats is a classic example, lots of money was recently spent there, but......the ramp itself was not touched, there is a kids playground, picnic seats, gardens and some other "nice" things, but the ramp is a disgrace really, well, the ramp is OK, but the water out from it is cm deep, except for a big hole that the ski boats have dug out, everywhere else is shallow..

In NSW part of your boating fees payed to RMS has to be spent only boating infrastructure. Every year or so they ask  Registrations of Interest for NSW Boating Now Program (google info).There is no reason for the responsible organisation not apply. RMS also have a standard for boat ramp infrastructure https://roads-waterways.transport.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/projects/better-boating-program/nsw-boat-ramp-facility-guidelines.pdf.This worth a look. So the money is there (your money) the guidelines. Please pass on. 

Hi Noelm  Have heard that now Reddell Parade ramp is nearly finished that Oak flats ramp will be dredged. Berkley does not have anything like the amenities Oak flats ramp. The ramp is shared with the yacht club. On sailing days it is badilum (could have sold car park $50). Throw in Aishs seafood. Please come on over and have a look.