Jetty Fish(Stripey and Diamond fish)

Isaac Ct

Question

12 answers to this question

1 minute ago, JamoDamo said:

The first one is a stripey

The second one is known as a Diamondfish / Butter Bream

It could be a Diamond fish, might be the net has "changed" its shape a bit, both very common wharf catches.

Always good to get a couple of new species Isaac and finding out what they are. 👍

Catching them from a Wharf would bring back lots of memories from a lot of on here when we were younger.

Diamond fish is a Juvenile, when they get a bit older the second stripe on the heads fades.

Edited by Blackfish

3 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

The first one is a stripey

The second one is known as a Diamondfish / Butter Bream

Thanks mate

3 hours ago, noelm said:

Looks like a common old Sweep and what we call a Butterfish, I can look up their proper name if you like, Butterfish is just what we have called them forever.

Cheers, I will have to do some digging and find a website/book to help me identify my species.

3 hours ago, noelm said:

It could be a Diamond fish, might be the net has "changed" its shape a bit, both very common wharf catches.

Ok, thanks.

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Always good to get a couple of new species Isaac and finding out what they are. 👍

Catching them from a Wharf would bring back lots of memories from a lot of on here when we were younger.

Diamond fish is a Juvenile, when they get a bit older the second stripe on the heads fades.

Cheers mate, will note that.

First one, from my old fishing days at Yowie Bay wharf, was called a stripey, a bait stealing pain when trying to catch yakkas.

The second one, from those old days, we called Batfish, because they swum up like a bat when pulling them in. Not  like the real Batfish family, mostly a tropical species, although they may be called a Silver Batfish.

• Like 2