See what I found...

big Neil

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZG5jziSfpkzVt2-7CYIGsp39jkQZV8X5/view?usp=sharing

I was having a look for a particular photo on an old backup device...I found it. You know how you get sidetracked with these things, I did. Pictures and videos which I hadn't seen for ages led me to think of some great trips with some great mates. Unfortunately some of them are no longer with us.

The "Holy Grail" of Murray Cod fishing is the metre long fish. They exist, but they don't get to be that big by being stupid. The video relates a great day on the Murrumbidgee River. I hope you enjoy it. bn

• Like 8

Great Cod and great quality footage there Neil. 👍

Photos and videos, like the above are great at the time but priceless later in life, you often forget about stuff like that.

Funny you should post that up Neil, a mate just sent through a photo of myself that he took maybe 40 years ago with a nice Central Coast Jewfish I caught. We used to fish the rocks at night for them. They were great times.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Blackfish said:

Great Cod and great quality footage there Neil. 👍

Photos and videos, like the above are great at the time but priceless later in life, you often forget about stuff like that.

Funny you should post that up Neil, a mate just sent through a photo of myself that he took maybe 40 years ago with a nice Central Coast Jewfish I caught. We used to fish the rocks at night for them. They were great times.

Another fish that's on my hit list, the beautiful looking Jewfish. Only ever caught Soapies... a big one would be a fabulous memory. bn

9 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. very impressive , I have no doubt there are plenty of those monsters lurking about the snags in that mighty river.

I will be back down there to share some with you in the future.

Frank

That will be great Frank. Not for a while, I fancy. The river is still bloody hopeless. 3 mtrs higher water level (than normal), really dirty water, and no flow. Went out 2 days ago and spent 3.5 hrs  without a bite. Hopefully it will improve soon. Neil

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

I saw some photos years ago of cod laid across the back of bullock drays (I think 10'6" wide for wool bales) taken i think in the murrumbidgee around Darlington Point area (Benerambah Station??)

Yep Andrew. By todays standards those pictures and ones I've seen of metre plus Murray Cod hanging on a Hills Hoist are disgusting. The wreckless plundering of these fish with set lines, drums and gill nets is the reason why it has taken so long to get the species back to reasonable levels. They are not really edible at that size. Thankfully most people are more conscious of their significance in inland rivers and impoundments these days. Neil