Fish with serious teeth

Danyjv

Question

11 answers to this question

Could be a Grinner @noelm, the only common one I know is a Painted Grinner.

Though I've changed my mind I'm "Maybe" certain 😀 its a Largescale Grinner/Saury. White spots on it's back and the spots on the landing edge of it's tail.

Well that my guess.. 🙂

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 2

Lizard fish. 

They're ok eating, bit boney but still alright. 

I accidentally broke it's jaw trying to dehook it as it was gut hooked so I just took it home for dinner 

I just want to make clear that braking it's jaw was a complete freak accident. I was shaking the hook out and yeah the jaw broke so it was quickly dispatched and taken home. 

Edited by slothparade

I always enjoy reading these posts where our resident experts identify fish from (sometimes) questionable photos. It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of marine species out there, and the depth of knowledge of Fishraider experts.

By the way what are the (zero with an up and down symbol), located in the left margin, all about?

bn

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

I always enjoy reading these posts where our resident experts identify fish from (sometimes) questionable photos. It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of marine species out there, and the depth of knowledge of Fishraider experts.

By the way what are the (zero with an up and down symbol), located in the left margin, all about?

bn

Thanks @dirvin21

Good question @big Neil this is the only section with this feature. @Blackfish Gordon is our Silver Moderator for this sub forum. He has a special interest in identifying fish and is very knowledgeable. 

Members are also invited to give their opinions and we all may agree on the answer in the end. Members can select an up arrow if they agree with the poster's answer. 

He will give the final say on a definitive or best answer. If he does not know he will sometimes send to the Australian Museum to the Ichthyology Collections Manager. They will step in and give us the answer. 

Once the answer has been found Blaxland or myself will select a green tick and add the fish name in brackets beside the post heading. 

You will see 5 questions outstanding if you go to The Aquarium heading. These have not been ID'd due to poor picture or other reason for inability to ID. Members can still try to ID. Popular questions from the past month may also appear listed. 

A big thanks to Gordon who has been doing this important job for us since 2016

I have added this explanation to the original post about what the forum is and thanks Neil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks @dirvin21

Good question @big Neil this is the only section with this feature. @Blackfish Gordon is our Silver Moderator for this sub forum. He has a special interest in identifying fish and is very knowledgeable. 

Members are also invited to give their opinions and we all may agree on the answer in the end. Members can select an up arrow if they agree with the poster's answer. 

He will give the final say on a definitive or best answer. If he does not know he will sometimes send to the Australian Museum to the Ichthyology Collections Manager. They will step in and give us the answer. 

Once the answer has been found Blaxland or myself will select a green tick and add the fish name in brackets beside the post heading. 

You will see 5 questions outstanding if you go to The Aquarium heading. These have not been ID'd due to poor picture or other reason for inability to ID. Members can still try to ID. Popular questions from the past month may also appear listed. 

A big thanks to Gordon who has been doing this important job for us since 2016

I have added this explanation to the original post about what the forum is and thanks Neil. 

Wow thanks for the in-depth answer Donna and as you say special thanks to Gordon for his dedication to the site. That's exactly what I mean when I expound the qualities of Fishraider. Nothing is too much trouble to provide for the ever changing needs of the Members. If only this type of service and consideration were extended in the general populous...

I rest my case. bn

7 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

you can vote the answer up or down, the answer with the most ups will be at the top of the thread

Thanks for your reply Dave. I suppose you got buckets of rain recently, so fishing will be in the doldrums for a bit. Keep me posted, down the track, as I am still keen to head your way to catch up with you and Hoods for a bit of river lure fishing. Cheers, Neil