Short session on the Lane Cove river

Little_Flatty

Expecting terrible weather this morning, I woke up to find that the weather was fine. Checked the radar, looked clear for the moment and set out for one of @motiondave's not-so-secret spots (Hunters Hill Wharf). I chose this spot for no other reason than the fact I could easily high-tail it back to the car if it started pouring 🤣 It was almost dead-low tide.

Tied on a Berkley 3 inch Power Minnow in Pumpkinseed, rigged on a size 1 1/20th jighead, with a sly 'tail-nipper slaying' stinger rigged on the tail. Did this a while ago, while bored during lockdown, using a sewing needle and a length of 10lb flurocarbon. I think my original intent was to see if the tail nippers were whiting, and then could change tact to target them more specifically.

In the early morning darkness, I put out a few casts in the shallows. Always worth a try, especially during low-light periods. The water here can't be more than knee-deep, but the fish are present. Lots of yabby holes so it is obvious there is plenty for them to eat (reminder: according to DPI rules you can't pump them here! But yabby holes are always a good sign). As I was lifting my lure out for another cast, a little flatty snaffled it:

image.png.494e5d23860b773140fab8c4feda626e.png

Released the flatty and cast on. Not more than a few minutes later, up came a bream:

image.png.cad680599260bc21348c586c6242ac2a.png

Released that too.

Mucked around with a Cranka for a while for no hits, then returned to the power minnow with the stinger. Got a little chopper tailor on the drop, which deftly snipped off my stinger hook as I landed it. Ah well...

After that happened, it started raining, so I came home. All done in half an hour. Probably spent longer driving than fishing, but I knew that was a possibility, so all good.

• Like 9

Beautiful spot that, very picturesque at night too as some of the nearby mansions begin lighting up. 

That overhead wire on the right of the wharf is a real tackle graveyard. I’ve chucked a few lures onto it. Snagging up on that wire is customary, and considered good luck….

Just around the corner at the end of Ferry St is another fishing spot where you can fish from your car if you aren’t already aware or are seeking deeper water nearby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motiondave said:

Excellent stuff, you seen to like low tide there... hehehehe...

Best go buy live nippers to use. Get a battery power aerator, and a cheap small bucket.

My local bait Shop sell them for 50c each. 

I can imagine the nippers would be the killer bait in that spot!

I subscribe to the philosophy that the best time to go fishing is whenever you are free…today my time was low tide :DI think with the upper Parra getting so much rain and not yet recovered from the fish kill, this spot may soon get a look in on a high tide! That said, this spot doesn’t fish too badly on the low, as can be seen here!

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Great effort and worthwhile result.

I was going to take my boat out this morning and decided against it as I thought it would rain.

Kicking myself for not going.

I wouldn’t be kicking myself, just look at the rain that we got today! At the rate we’re going, we’re all going to be able to fish from our doorsteps by the end of the week!

41 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good action for a short period of time. If there is water about, fish will be swimming in it. 🤣 Just have to find them like you did.

They certainly are! Always have to remind myself to cast into ‘unlikely’ looking water, every now and again.

21 minutes ago, Mike Sydney said:

Beautiful spot that, very picturesque at night too as some of the nearby mansions begin lighting up. 

That overhead wire on the right of the wharf is a real tackle graveyard. I’ve chucked a few lures onto it. Snagging up on that wire is customary, and considered good luck….

Just around the corner at the end of Ferry St is another fishing spot where you can fish from your car if you aren’t already aware or are seeking deeper water nearby.

Thanks Mike, I do know about Ferry St. I’ve only fished it once. Got plagued by tiny reddies. What species do you normally see there? I was told the odd king turns up there.

I did see a lot of gear on that wire! Hope no sugapens and crankas were lost! Does the loss of a lure instigate a hot bite? 🤣

• 5 months later...