Braid cutters

lastworm

I’ve always used “braid scissors” for cutting my braid - usually ultra thin diameter 6-10lb.

The thing when cutting braid is you need to pull it tight when cutting, so I was wondering how those nail clipper type cutters work on braided line? Are they just a pain and only useful for mono/fluro?

These are the type I’m talking about:

5FB77342-6C59-4EF4-8730-227D8290615E.jpeg

My experience has been they kind of work for a while but after some use you get some flatish spots on the cutting surfaces and they can struggle a bit. Braid scissors have worked better for me long term.

• Like 1

I keep them in every tackle box I have as a spare for those awful days when you forget your braid scissors!

That said it doesn't happen hugely often since I've tethered them to my tackle pack.

For me, I prefer braid scissors with a split ring tip built in. I find they double as hook removers with this additional feature.

• Like 1

They work for me, especially for thin line, with 50lbs braid for example I have to rub it back and fourth a few times with the clippers squeezed down on it to cut through. 

I do have braid scissors and I just used what ever is closest, heavy duty wire cutters work great to. Mine cuts mono, braid, wire, hooks. Wasn't bought for cutting line but when it's all you have, it's surprisingly good. 

• Like 1

Same as Restyle, I just use the cutting jaws on my cheap, Surecatch long nosed pliers. Simple to operate, leaves a clean cut and never goes blunt. I've been using the same pair for 10 years or more.

Before that I used to use disposable suture scissors that are cheap to buy online. They're stainless steel and razor sharp, cutting light braid easily without having to add tension to the tag. The only drawbacks are they have sharp points and go blunt quite quick, though a couple of strokes with the diamond file gets them as good as new.

• Like 1

Plenty to think about here. I’ve given up on buying more pliers, only got a new pair a couple of years back and they are perfect for removing hooks from fish but the side cutters on them are no good for light braid. 
I might just stick with the braid scissors, I have a few pairs and they are cheap enough

Edited by lastworm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lastworm said:

Plenty to think about here. I’ve given up on buying more pliers, only got a new pair a couple of years back and they are perfect for removing hooks from fish but the side cutters on them are no good for light braid. 
I might just stick with the braid scissors, I have a few pairs and they are cheap enough

Another forum I'm a member of had a poll of what brand of braid scissors was everyone's favourite and the blue handled Berkleys scored over 50% of the vote.

Personally I've never used them, but might be worth a look.

4 hours ago, lastworm said:

I also like the Daiwa J-Braid scissors and HDF branded scissors. Both cut braid well and are good for hook removal.