Cleaning brag mats

Little_Flatty

Measuring a fish this morning, I realised there was a bit of an odour to my brag mat! I did give it a spray every few trips, but I did get slack in recent weeks.

Gave it a good wash when I got home in warm water and detergent and now hanging to dry. Is there anything else to this?

Now I think of it, I can't imagine it being that good for the welfare of a fish if dirty...bit like never washing your manky gym towel and still using it! I might give it a spray down with ethanol when it dries, and let it dry again.

• Like 1

Try the same stuff you clean your toilet with, diluted in a bucket of water . - it is a detergent and disinfectant and has a deodorising agent . Just make sure you rinse it well . I use this to do the boat rags I use to grab fish and wipe my hands on .

• Thanks 1

I agree with smobaby.  Use wet and rinse after.  If you do get anything a bit smelly, I find a few drops of Nilodour (available from supermarkets) in soapy water is best to remove smells.  Brilliant for cleaning eskis and fridges etc to remove smells.   Ron

• Thanks 1

Option A: Don't catch any fish worthwhile measuring or bragging about like me and your brag mat that you've had for years like me will stay brand new and smelling like a freshly picked daisy.

Option B: Take a work mate along that stinks like a bloke we have at work that we are sure he eats rotten zombies and I can guarantee you won't smell the brag mat.

Hope my wisdom and knowledge helps.

• Haha 2

On 2/27/2022 at 9:36 AM, Rebel said:

I use Ajax Spray/Wipe. 

Easy to use.

Cheers.

Thanks Rebel, makes sense.

On 2/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, XD351 said:

Try the same stuff you clean your toilet with, diluted in a bucket of water . - it is a detergent and disinfectant and has a deodorising agent . Just make sure you rinse it well . I use this to do the boat rags I use to grab fish and wipe my hands on .

Thanks mate, will give it a try.

20 hours ago, Smobaby said:

You should always wet your brag mat with the water your fishing  before measuring, then just dip it back into the water and give it a wipe with your hand, if in salt rinse with fresh whilst washing your rods.

Noted, for fish welfare reasons as well as mat hygiene. I'm not always within easy reach of water (e.g. Harbour retaining wall at low tide) but I will do this where possible.

20 hours ago, campr said:

I agree with smobaby.  Use wet and rinse after.  If you do get anything a bit smelly, I find a few drops of Nilodour (available from supermarkets) in soapy water is best to remove smells.  Brilliant for cleaning eskis and fridges etc to remove smells.   Ron

Haven't heard of Nilodour, sound like the solution to all of my smelly problems (not just fishing!).

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Option A: Don't catch any fish worthwhile measuring or bragging about like me and your brag mat that you've had for years like me will stay brand new and smelling like a freshly picked daisy.

Option B: Take a work mate along that stinks like a bloke we have at work that we are sure he eats rotten zombies and I can guarantee you won't smell the brag mat.

Hope my wisdom and knowledge helps.

🤣 Love it Fab! Always good to hear your thinking-out-of-the-box solutions :D

I do try to measure everything for my records, even if small. That said I make an exception for tiny reddies and chopper tailor - they just go straight back.

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

🤣 Love it Fab! Always good to hear your thinking-out-of-the-box solutions :D

I do try to measure everything for my records, even if small. That said I make an exception for tiny reddies and chopper tailor - they just go straight back

Sorry mate,in all seriousness I rub my bait all over my brag mat and hold it in the water singing here fishy,fishy in the hope of attracting brag right worthy fish to it.

I think it's broken or it needs batteries as it hasn't worked in years!!

Bloody Yowie I tell ya.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Sorry mate,in all seriousness I rub my bait all over my brag mat and hold it in the water singing here fishy,fishy in the hope of attracting brag right worthy fish to it.

I think it's broken or it needs batteries as it hasn't worked in years!!

Bloody Yowie I tell ya.

Seriously no playing around.

Earth choice dishwashing liquid and a soft scrubbing brush(I use a cheap dustpan one) will have it clean and smelling nice in a jiffy.

I have used it for years on things like my canopy,rear vinyl bench seat etc.

It's cheap at the reject store or shops and is environmentally friendly.

• Like 1