Jump to content

Sussex Inlet Prospering


Recommended Posts

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"A top report to share with us - a young fisherman learning"

Isaac Ct was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 20 points.

I must confess I might have lied when I said I didn't spend any money on lures and that I was 'strictly a bait fisherman'. 

Being that cricket got called of on Saturday, my dad and I decided to head down to Sussex Inlet for the weekend to try for some fish. My dad is most definitely a bait fisherman but I am keen to try new things. First Stop the local tackle shop, decided to purchase a 70mm sugarpenn and some bait for the old man. 

We hit the canals at 8 on Saturday morning and I started to chuck some hardbodies around without any luck for 2 hours. We then moved to Berrara Creek and I tied on the Sugarpenn in hopes of a topwater whiting, no luck. I then tied on a vibe and started flicking the channel which is about 1.5m deep from the first bend near the ocean until 'Fisherman's rock' upstream. After a couple of cast fish on!! I have caught flatties in this area before and I was sure this was another one. Sure enough it was and not to bad either, measuring at a little over 59cm. No more fish for today so we headed home ready for Sunday. 

On Sunday morning woke up to a pack of Kangaroo's on our doorstep then we hit Chris Creek in the canal's at 8, my dad armed with prawns and myself with the Sugarpenn. I decided to cast over the shallow weed beds hoping for a bream or flattie. But first cast an explosive topwater hit without a hook-up!! Absolutely gutted. Next cast in the same spot and hooked up!! Not sure what it was until I saw some silver flashes and though Bream! But it turned out to be a 34cm Estuary Perch!!! I have heard of Bass being caught in the Basin but never Estuary Perch. First of one for me as well. After that a small tailor on topwater and then a move to a canal near the mouth of the inlet that runs to the ocean. I tied the vibe back on and hit a 45cm flattie amongst some boat pylons and then a tailor on a shallow-diver on some weed beds. 

Overall a pretty successful weekend on the lures (my dad caught zilch on the bait🤣)

Cheers, Isaac.

1969398108_FlattieCanal.thumb.jpg.2efd24fb0948deec381e95d2e52d195e.jpg1072157352_Flattiefromberrara.thumb.jpg.e5921b1c35841150a2e06c9d498fa823.jpg1908551455_EstuaryPerch.thumb.jpg.1f99d17c9abae4044aedee6deedd9a2a.jpg

 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice work Isaac. Here you are getting fish on lures this weekend and here I am this week getting fish on bait! No point painting yourself into a corner one way or another :D 

59cm is a solid lizard, and on the topwater too!

Those luring skills will prove useful in that you don't have to buy/procure bait, which enables impromptu fishing sessions with very little planning.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Isaac. Here you are getting fish on lures this weekend and here I am this week getting fish on bait! No point painting yourself into a corner one way or another :D 

59cm is a solid lizard, and on the topwater too!

Those luring skills will prove useful in that you don't have to buy/procure bait, which enables impromptu fishing sessions with very little planning.

Thanks mate. I won't deceive you, I would have loved to get the flatty of the top but it was on the vibe. Don't want to cop it later. Good to know other drains are producing bream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks mate. I won't deceive you, I would have loved to get the flatty of the top but it was on the vibe. Don't want to cop it later. Good to know other drains are producing bream.

Haha, that doesn't take away from the achievement one bit! Well done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Restyle said:

good stuff despite all the rain around. The ep is a impressive catch, good job mate 

Thanks mate, the water had a bit of colour in it but the canal near the entrance was rather clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some quality fish there young fella, top job. How good are Sugarpens!!!

There's been quite a few EPs coming from The Basin over the last week, probably due to all the rain flushing them out of the creeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Some quality fish there young fella, top job. How good are Sugarpens!!!

There's been quite a few EPs coming from The Basin over the last week, probably due to all the rain flushing them out of the creeks.

Thanks @Green Hornet, good to know that the EP's are coming into the Inlet. WIll have to come back down and give it another crack soon. I think the Sugarpenn may be at the top of my lure list now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rebel said:

Super report and Super photos.

Well done.

Now back to Cricket you need that green cap.

Cheers.

Thanks mate, I guess that is every Aussie cricketers green. I have got my cap for my district so a couple more steps to still go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Isaac, what a top report. To be able to catch fish with lures at your age is a really good indicator of your future capabilities. In many years to come, maybe when you are doing the same thing with your own children, you will really appreciate the shared times with your Dad. Not that you don't now, it will have VERY SPECIAL significance in years to come. Meantime, you keep working hard at the things you love... sport, hobbies, family, and education. Naturally, keep posting your achievements here on Fishraider. We will continue to follow your successes.

bn

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

A change of scenery, and some nice fish for the effort.

Thanks Yowie.

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Isaac, what a top report. To be able to catch fish with lures at your age is a really good indicator of your future capabilities. In many years to come, maybe when you are doing the same thing with your own children, you will really appreciate the shared times with your Dad. Not that you don't now, it will have VERY SPECIAL significance in years to come. Meantime, you keep working hard at the things you love... sport, hobbies, family, and education. Naturally, keep posting your achievements here on Fishraider. We will continue to follow your successes.

bn

Cheers BN, I am lucky to have discovered Fishraider. The site is wonderful and the community is very helpful and welcoming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks Yowie.

Cheers BN, I am lucky to have discovered Fishraider. The site is wonderful and the community is very helpful and welcoming.

Thanks, our community is great isn't it and you are part of it :) 

Keep going with your fishing - the learning never stops as you can see by the senior members who still learn new skills or new tricks!

mrsswordie

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks, our community is great isn't it and you are part of it :) 

Keep going with your fishing - the learning never stops as you can see by the senior members who still learn new skills or new tricks!

mrsswordie

Thanks mrsswordie, I hope this community continues on for many more years and people can discover this amazing site.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Thanks Yowie.

Cheers BN, I am lucky to have discovered Fishraider. The site is wonderful and the community is very helpful and welcoming.

Too true, and you have a big future role to play in keeping it that way. bn

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      69.5k
    • Total Posts
      572.1k
×
×
  • Create New...