Preventing Lures from rusting.

Isaac Ct

Wash them in fresh water after use and make sure they're completely dry before sealing them back in your tackle box

I have a couple of empty sections in my tackle box for lures used whilst fishing so I don't spread salt through the whole lot

• Like 3

I have pieces of foam ( package filler ) the stuff things are packed it when shipped glued inside the boat and when I want to change lures I pin the used/wet one on the foam and at the end of the session wash them all down dry them and store them away.

Never put a wet lure back in the tackle box.

Frank

• Like 1

I've also heard of keeping rice in your tackle box can help keep things dry. Weird, but many swear by it!

14 minutes ago, Restyle said:

along with the post above, give your hooks a quick run on a wet stone every few trips to keep them sharp

+1 on that. So many times people miss fish because of blunt hooks. There are also many others who discard hooks when all they need is literally two seconds of work. A sharpening stone is part of my every day carry.

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

Haven't really had a problem even with the Atomic hooks = not silver.  I used to give my hooks a squirt of WD40. Worked well. but beware of SP.s ,soft prawns and vibes !!

Ok, I shouldn't have a problem with that.

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

Wash them in fresh water after use and make sure they're completely dry before sealing them back in your tackle box

I have a couple of empty sections in my tackle box for lures used whilst fishing so I don't spread salt through the whole lot

I have thought about that, will give it a try.

1 hour ago, frankS said:

I have pieces of foam ( package filler ) the stuff things are packed it when shipped glued inside the boat and when I want to change lures I pin the used/wet one on the foam and at the end of the session wash them all down dry them and store them away.

Never put a wet lure back in the tackle box.

Frank

Thanks mate

54 minutes ago, Restyle said:

along with the post above, give your hooks a quick run on a wet stone every few trips to keep them sharp

Cheers mate.

39 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I've also heard of keeping rice in your tackle box can help keep things dry. Weird, but many swear by it!

+1 on that. So many times people miss fish because of blunt hooks. There are also many others who discard hooks when all they need is literally two seconds of work. A sharpening stone is part of my every day carry.

Ok, thanks little flatty

I soak all my in fresh water straight away after a trip. 

Then cover all the rust with Rust converter, then spray with wd40 and wipe down. Some times I'll sand them with some wet and dry and sharpen the have OKs on a wet stone. Takes a bit of time but saves quite a bit of money and effort, plus do it while watching tv or something. 

10 hours ago, slothparade said:

I soak all my in fresh water straight away after a trip. 

Then cover all the rust with Rust converter, then spray with wd40 and wipe down. Some times I'll sand them with some wet and dry and sharpen the have OKs on a wet stone. Takes a bit of time but saves quite a bit of money and effort, plus do it while watching tv or something. 

Thanks mate, I will ask my dad about this.

Firstly, I never put my used lures back into the tackle box. I take a old peanut butter jar with me and keep them in that. If I'm in the boat or not going to be too mobile, I fill the jar with fresh water before I leave home.

I drop my lures in a bucket of fresh water as soon as I get home and let them soak while I clean up all my other gear. 

Take them out, let them dry, sharpen the hooks if necessary and smear a thin coat of tuna oil (the stuff they add to burley) over just the hooks with a rag dampened in the oil. 

It leaves a thin, protective coating over them and dries, so it doesn't smear all over and stink out your tackle box. 

I've been doing it this way for years and haven't come across a better method. 

Edit: There's always been a lot of debate whether products like Inox or WD40 deter or attract fish. I figure if the tuna oil is made to attract fish, its got to be good.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Firstly, I never put my used lures back into the tackle box. I take a old peanut butter jar with me and keep them in that. If I'm in the boat or not going to be too mobile, I fill the jar with fresh water before I leave home.

I drop my lures in a bucket of fresh water as soon as I get home and let them soak while I clean up all my other gear. 

Take them out, let them dry, sharpen the hooks if necessary and smear a thin coat of tuna oil (the stuff they add to burley) over just the hooks with a rag dampened in the oil. 

It leaves a thin, protective coating over them and dries, so it doesn't smear all over and stink out your tackle box. 

I've been doing it this way for years and haven't come across a better method. 

Edit: There's always been a lot of debate whether products like Inox or WD40 deter or attract fish. I figure if the tuna oil is made to attract fish, its got to be good.

Thanks mate, the jar sounds like a good idea and I am sure to try it out. Good idea with the Tuna oil as well, thanks.

• Like 1