Tiagra vs talica

Tiagra vs talica. Just curious what the advantages of each are. 

To keep it simple maybe we should cap it at 50w, as there isn't any bigger talicas. 

From my understanding, talicas can be used to pitch bait, jig, live, bait, trawl ect. But does this versatility make it better than a tiagra? 

From my understanding the internals are the same, the talica has a slightly heavier drag.

With the tiagra, the harness lugs are definitely an advantage for certain applications but what other advantages are there? 

I guess my main question is what makes someone use a talica over a tiagra and where's the line drawn? They're both basically the same price second hand, new the talica is more expensive. 

Thanks for entertaining me curiousity

Assuming you are referring to single speed talica's (no harness lugs) then the difference is 1 vs 2 speed. Otherwise the talica's have a higher gear ratio (generally even on the 2 speed models).

The better question would be back to you as to what do you want to use them for? I bought tiagra's as they are used for trolling only (using mono), have a great reputation and I got them on sale!

4 hours ago, grantos said:

Assuming you are referring to single speed talica's (no harness lugs) then the difference is 1 vs 2 speed. Otherwise the talica's have a higher gear ratio (generally even on the 2 speed models).

The better question would be back to you as to what do you want to use them for? I bought tiagra's as they are used for trolling only (using mono), have a great reputation and I got them on sale!

Ahh alright thanks. Didn't realize that the 2 speed had the harness lugs 

I already own a tiagra just curious about the advantages and disadvantages of each. I'm using mine for shark. 

• 2 weeks later...

The talica are a nicer reel to use in my opinion and thats both single and twin speed. Tiagra's are big bulky heavy lumps that have had their day when people fished heavy mono and needed those wide spools for capacity. Now the Talica's are the ultimate for deep broadbill fishing reels and capable of holding lots of braid without having to wear your thumb away trying to cross that braid evenly across the spool. Secondhand values of tiagra's have been pretty low from what Ive seen since many bigger game chasers moved on to Talica's. Just to add, Im able to cast with a single speed Talica.

Edited by JonD

On 3/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, JonD said:

The talica are a nicer reel to use in my opinion and thats both single and twin speed. Tiagra's are big bulky heavy lumps that have had their day when people fished heavy mono and needed those wide spools for capacity. Now the Talica's are the ultimate for deep broadbill fishing reels and capable of holding lots of braid without having to wear your thumb away trying to cross that braid evenly across the spool. Secondhand values of tiagra's have been pretty low from what Ive seen since many bigger game chasers moved on to Talica's. Just to add, Im able to cast with a single speed Talica.

Thanks for shedding some light on this, please correct me if in wrong.

From my understanding the talica is better for stand up fishing with a straight but rod? 

From looking at pic I'm guessing the talica has a 'deeper' spool while the tiagra has a wider? I'm guessing the tiagra more suits being fished on a bent but rod with a harness or in the rod mount? 

For using straight mono, I'm probably wrong here, why would you go a tiagra when you have the senators, that could hold however many km of 200 mono. I thought you would be going the biggest reel as possible, but again please correct me if I'm wrong. 

It's probably my technique is wrong but I guide the line back onto my reel using my thumb at the front of the reel. No one really taught me how to use an overhead so it's kind of been a guessing game.

I've noticed the second hand values are up and down. Like you will see toagras and talicas all around and above the 1000 mark then around the 400 mark, at that point a trynos is the same price if not more expensive. But yeah the toagras seem to be a bit cheaper sometimes. 

25 is an ideal size for pitch baiting for tuna and stuff isn't it? Like they're narrow enough to be cast and light enough as well. If you want an interesting video, there's a guy who casted a 50w tiagra a decent distance lol. 

Thanks for the help