A fun morning at Lake Wyangan

Hi everyone. Here's the fishing report that nearly wasn't.

A few hasty plans made late yesterday with Chhayzor had us decide on a trip to Lake Wyangan, near Griffith NSW. I'm sure everyone has heard of Griffith, for all the wrong reasons. Neither of us realised that the City to the Lake fun run was on this morning and the entire route that we needed to take was cordoned off. My thoughts were for Chhay and how he would get there with all the streets closed off to traffic. I thought I would be alright once I decided to drive around the barriers which blocked access to Lake Wyangan Road. I need not have worried as the intrepid Chhay managed to get there before I did. 

We met up and I considered whether I should ignore him and go fishing myself. The twit had a Liverpool F C shirt on. My first thoughts were to just drive on past, launch the boat and wave to him from the water. I thought better of it and remembered that we were both representing Fishraider, so I stopped and greeted him. Minutes later we were in the boat and on the way to the first spot. No luck at this spot so we moved to another spot adjacent to some trees and close to the reeds. This proved to be a positive move and we started catching Carp, one after another. We established that they were taking shrimps on a paternoster rig and corn kernels on the basic running sinker rig. The first half dozen or so were smallish Carp then we both caught a big chunky Carp around mid 60cm plus in length and probably around 8lb weight. Chhays was slightly bigger and put up a nice fight as he angled it away from the reeds and back to the boat. Very well done young fella, despite that silly shirt you're wearing. After those big ones we still caught more, at regular intervals, albeit a good deal smaller. No idea how many we caught, but probably around 20, I guess.

The wind was forecast for 30kms and the chop was a good half metre so trolling for Native fish was a no go.

Chhay had to work in the afternoon so we headed back to the ramp, leaving them biting.

It was nice to meet another Raider and spend a bit of time on the water with him. We only caught Carp, but it was something new for the young fella, who hadn't been freshwater fishing before. Lovely to meet you Chhay and safe travels back to Sydney mate.

Here are a few pics from the mornings session (apologies for the shirt) bn

IMG_3716rs.thumb.jpg.4f636ef907509a5a6e7e0be233a6030b.jpgIMG_3717rs.thumb.jpg.58a08a7c444f33c5c4ada139054a3462.jpgIMG_3718rs.thumb.jpg.dbf4a46f016859a669e52d8540a2c1ad.jpgIMG_3719rs.thumb.jpg.a4da898535ab27a8c8607f7c218208e0.jpgIMG_3720rs.thumb.jpg.15dfbe113bad9ca87383187a8fc02c69.jpgIMG_3725rs.thumb.jpg.39e152c395e830626418b6e53e63a3e2.jpgIMG_3726rs.thumb.jpg.4861174f1b65b9c3e5b75bd4513496e1.jpgIMG_3727rs.thumb.jpg.4b0c91936d6e631301a9fc450bf78390.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

We met up and I considered whether I should ignore him and go fishing myself. The twit had a Liverpool F C shirt on. My first thoughts were to just drive on past, launch the boat and wave to him from the water. I thought better of it and remembered that we were both representing Fishraider, so I stopped and greeted him.

🤣 Neil that's hilarious! I guess that's the Fishraider spirit right there, we all are different in our own ways but we are united in our love of fishing.

Been waiting for this report. I'd attest to quite enjoying fishing for Carp. If only they were better on a plate, or if we were better at cooking them.

Looks like some pretty serious weight needed to be used, the wind must have been something else.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

🤣 Neil that's hilarious! I guess that's the Fishraider spirit right there, we all are different in our own ways but we are united in our love of fishing.

Been waiting for this report. I'd attest to quite enjoying fishing for Carp. If only they were better on a plate, or if we were better at cooking them.

Looks like some pretty serious weight needed to be used, the wind must have been something else.

No the rods that Chhay used were last used in the river and I needed that weight to hold bottom near the snags. The wind only affected the surface chop. Quite pleasant conditions really considering rain was forecast. bn

• Like 1

Neil. Glad you caught up with another raider, looks like it's a nice little place to wet a line, I am a bit surprised you are allowed a petrol motor in such a small lake, being so close to you I am a bit surprised you haven't made reports from there previously, I don't think it would take long to sus the good spots out, Yellowbelly and Cod spots.

Could be a place for a future fishing trip with a overnight camp.

Frank

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I was actually discussing the edible qualities of Carp with Chhay. In many parts of the world Carp are the main source of edible fish (parts of Europe and much of Asia). I'm sure they can be a reasonable table food, but why would we eat them in Australia when there are so many better options available here? bn

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:56 PM, frankS said:

Neil. Glad you caught up with another raider, looks like it's a nice little place to wet a line, I am a bit surprised you are allowed a petrol motor in such a small lake, being so close to you I am a bit surprised you haven't made reports from there previously, I don't think it would take long to sus the good spots out, Yellowbelly and Cod spots.

Could be a place for a future fishing trip with a overnight camp.

Frank

I've fished there before Frank though not for some time. Like everywhere else in the region the water level depends on rainfall and the levels in Blowering and Burrinjuck Dams. I have caught both Cod and Yellowbelly in there. It's about 30ft deep in parts and there are a few good holes where the Yellas congregate. The river is much nearer for me so hence I don't need to go there (Lake Wyangan) to fish, when normality reigns. It was a good standby choice for the visitor from the city.

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks @big Neil for the time out on the lake. I enjoyed it immensely, I only wish we had more time on the water. Alas, that bloody four letter word ruining things yet again!

It was great to chat with such an experienced angler and despite being a Man(ure) United supporter, you turned out to be a great bloke too 😂

For the other Raiders, it needs to be mentioned that, Neil being the modest bloke he is, didn't mention that he drove near an hour.. 40kms..boat in tow.. just to get me on to my first freshwater fish. A gem of a man and a fine representative of the generous spirit and camaraderie of this forum.

Aaaaand he left me with gifts of his own hand made pottery to take home with me!

Hopefully we can catch up when you're in Sydney. I'll be sure to be in full Liverpool kit 😁

20220315_214901.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hope you got all the work done that was necessary. Great that we can have a bit of banter about the EPL teams which we follow, without resorting to murder or worse (LOL). It was lovely to meet you and put you onto a few fish, albeit Mud Marlin. We have to take what we can get out here, west of the divide. Hope to catch up sometime down the track. If you have to head this way again, just let me know. Cheers, bn

• Like 5

A top report Neil, always there to help and share with others. One day soon I’ll need a master class on cod - never caught one, but they tend to not hang out in the Hawkesbury or Colo 😉I.

A blinking pity about the wind, but sounds like a great “Raider time”

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@big Neil You are a champion.

@Chhayzor Lucky you! 

@Pickles We are neighbours. 🙂

So I just realised that in following a prior thread, I did not see the start of this one. Loved the report and photos Neil.

The main takeaway: If meeting a raider, be absolutely sure to not sport team colours... unless due diligence is done prior, and team colours align. 😂

Edited by Fisherlady
Addition
  • Haha 2