GPS tracking

Hansard

I have been thinking the same thing, although I would be placing it somewhere on the trailer so it could not be seen by the would be thief.

I have had a trailer stolen from a boat ramp several years ago and it was a great inconvenience . I was lucky as I had a spare trailer at home, but I had to leave the boat in the water while I travelled the hour home and back again to the ramp. Never seen that trailer again.

I believe them to be a great idea but would have to have them in a place hidden well from view.

Frank

There are lots of industrial style devices for GPS tracking used for asset and fleet management that might be worth a look.

They tend to be ruggedized and lend themselves to being hardwired. Management is via one cloud portal or another. Telemetry tracking has become a bit of a big deal this past ten years so options are quite wide spread now days.

here is an example

Satellite Asset Tracker (fleetminder.com.au)

I have been contemplating the same for the new rig: boat and trailer.....I have not made up my mind as yet so will be following this thread.  There are so many considerations beyond just the cost.

It seems to me that all solutions will require a power source and will need to be mounted on the trailer or boat or ideally on both. If they are mounted it means they can be found. So one consideration for me is how easily can they be concealed. 

I have been giving some serious thought to using the Apple Airtags.  They are water resistant, tiny, cost only $45ea (less if you buy a pack). They take a CR2032 lithium 3V battery and battery life is expected to be around 12months. Monitoring and tracking is via the FindMy app on the iPhone.  Sure there are downsides - like the Tags do not use the satellite messaging services - but then most stolen boats and trailers will spend a significant amount of time on roads and in the vicinity of wifi , bluetooth and other telephones... so there will be more than ample opportunity for them to broadcast their location. 

https://www.apple.com/au/airtag/?afid=p238|sshzFKU6z-dc_mtid_18707vxu38484_pcrid_516176526893_pgrid_122710125113_&cid=aos-au-kwgo-btb--slid---product-

Anyway, my analysis is not complete, but I am leaning towards this solution. Would be keen to know if anyone else is already doing this and their experience.

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

I have been contemplating the same for the new rig: boat and trailer.....I have not made up my mind as yet so will be following this thread.  There are so many considerations beyond just the cost.

It seems to me that all solutions will require a power source and will need to be mounted on the trailer or boat or ideally on both. If they are mounted it means they can be found. So one consideration for me is how easily can they be concealed. 👍

I have been giving some serious thought to using the Apple Airtags.  They are water resistant, tiny, cost only $45ea (less if you buy a pack). They take a CR2032 lithium 3V battery and battery life is expected to be around 12months. Monitoring and tracking is via the FindMy app on the iPhone.  Sure there are downsides - like the Tags do not use the satellite messaging services - but then most stolen boats and trailers will spend a significant amount of time on roads and in the vicinity of wifi , bluetooth and other telephones... so there will be more than ample opportunity for them to broadcast their location. 

https://www.apple.com/au/airtag/?afid=p238|sshzFKU6z-dc_mtid_18707vxu38484_pcrid_516176526893_pgrid_122710125113_&cid=aos-au-kwgo-btb--slid---product-

Anyway, my analysis is not complete, but I am leaning towards this solution. Would be keen to know if anyone else is already doing this and their experience.

Cheers Zoran 

I just had my bike stolen, brand new its $3000. lost it in the stupidest way possible, saw a goat on the street in merewether (a very suburban area) dropped the bikes to check everything was all right then my mate whose bike was $4000 looked over his shoulder to see 2 goond riding of with our bikes never to be seen again. we were never 15 metres away from our bikes. 😭

the apple air tag is very appealing as its cheapish and is small allowing me to put it on the bike while being concealed. such a shame we have to worry about this in today's society. 

But lesson of the day if you see a goat on the street don't stop and keep riding! 👍

Zoran that looks really interesting. It will work across all your apple devices and you can even do a find my phone using your apple watch.

I was looking at this for the caravan. 

Here are some issues with privacy and security that this guy discusses (sharing these vids for others who may not have seen them)

• Like 1

Thanks for posting those videos Donna @mrsswordfisherman

Hmmm seems there are two issues that were highlighted that compromise the Airtag use as a vehicle tracker.  

1. To stop Airtags being used as a stalking device, an unidentified Airtag traveling with an iPhone for some 24-72hrs will notify that iPhone that it is in the vicinity - it will also start to beep. So if the thief has an iphone and is in the vicinity they will be alerted and be able to find and disable the device.

2. If my iPhone is away (out of range) from one of it's Airtags for 8-24hrs, the Airtag will start to beep. So if I leave on a trip my boat and trailer Airtags would beep and probably drive the neighbours to dispair. 

These issues and considerations are discussed on this site: 

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/can-you-track-a-car-with-apple-airtags

Personally I can live with: 1. as at least it gives me 24-72hrs to track the boat and trailer but 2. the Airtag beeping, is a showstopper.

Turns out there are already video tutorials out to assist with disabling the speaker - the procedure looks pretty straight forward !

Hmmmm ....  so the analysis continues.

Cheers Zoran

• Sad 1

Some of the commercial/fleet trackers look good but not sure about the battery side of things. If you need to connect to your main boat battery that would be pointless. If you could find a smaller battery and hide both the tracker and battery that could work better. 

1 hour ago, Plethora said:

I have one of these hidden on my boat

(The DEFENDER - 4G GPS Tracker for Car Boat Motorbike Caravan Trailer) - cost me $100 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172952003425

Thanks. Interesting.  So just to confirm it’s $100 for the tracker then around $120/yr for the SIM data plan. Correct?

cheers Zoran 

21 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Thanks. Interesting.  So just to confirm it’s $100 for the tracker then around $120/yr for the SIM data plan. Correct?

cheers Zoran 

That is correct $99 upfront for the unit and $120 per year - I have had it for 3years now - its for piece of mine (I also have my boat insured as well) it seems to be very close to the boat Lorwance HDS Live GPS as well (within a meter or so)    

2 minutes ago, Plethora said:

That is correct $99 upfront for the unit and $120 per year - I have had it for 3years now - its for piece of mine (I also have my boat insured as well) it seems to be very close to the boat Lorwance HDS Live GPS as well (within a meter or so)    

The reason I have it is that my boat has a 12in HDS Live and the 3D structure scan on it (a lot of money in this equipment an do not want to part with it - the nav system is held in wit security screws as well 

I don't know if this is any good. It works on 4G and 180 days standby. 

Magnetic 4G GPS Tracker Anti Theft for Car Boat Truck Motorbike Caravan Trailer. $98.99.

On Ebay..    294726905465

As for Sim , you can get an ALDI pay as you go $5 for 365 days plus you pay per call.

I'm looking for something like that for mine, not so much for the boat. I'm concerned about the trailer when parked at the boat ramp.

• Like 1

To stop the opportunist thief for a grab and run with your sounder I have also replaced the supplied screws with easy to undo screws with these type of screws (also the mounting screws are the same type with round head nuts)

image.png.03f6b80f24653b8787586d565aac541f.png  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, wrxhoon1 said:

I don't know if this is any good. It works on 4G and 180 days standby. . $98.99.

On Ebay..    294726905465

As for Sim , you can get an ALDI pay as you go $5 for 365 days plus you pay per call.

I'm looking for something like that for mine, not so much for the boat. I'm concerned about the trailer when parked at the boat ramp.

I'm still digging into a Tracking solution ...

Donna the Black Knight solution is a subscription service - it looks like you don't own the tracking device - you get the device and the tracking coverage bundled together as a service.

BASIC $29/month - min 24 months Total minimum cost over 24 months - $696

I would consider this is a premium service - which may make sense to folks that need to track something like a caravan with all their valuables. In my case, as others have mentioned, the key for me is to track the boat trailer (especially when left in a car park). No need to track the boat as it will be with me or on the trailer.

The two product solutions: Defender  4G from @Plethora) and the eBAY 4G GPS Tracker from @wrxhoon1 looked ok and were significantly cheaper than the tracking service, but the ongoing 4G SIM data costs are still a concern. 

I checked the ALDI sim solution Jerry suggested and unfortunately it is a NO GO.  The terms and conditions (page 2) state:

"" You must not:

h) use the service in fixed or portable alarm systems (including medical alarms and fall
detectors for example), GPS/tracking devices;
"

https://my.aldimobile.com.au/m3/docs/acceptable_use_policy.pdf

This means ALDI can deactivate the SIM whenever they detect its not being used for personal telephone/messaging use.

I'll check out a few carrier SIM/Data plans next to see who has the best plan.

------------

Regarding Apple Airtags:

I have discovered  the 2nd Apple Airtag concern I raised in my previous post is actually not an issue. I previously stated:  2. If my iPhone is away (out of range) from one of it's Airtags for 8-24hrs, the Airtag will start to beep. So if I leave on a trip my boat and trailer Airtags would beep and probably drive the neighbours to dispair.  

I have discovered that the Airtag does NOT automatically start to beep if it is stationary - it only starts to BEEP if someone moves it.  Hmmm.  Although this would obviously act as a minor deterrent, It would make the tag easier to find and destroy so currently my thinking is if I do go the Airtag way I'd be disabling the speaker. This will give me 24-36hrs of location tracking before the Airtags start showing up on the other people's (thief's) devices.

The analysis continues....

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hey Raiders,

Just thought I'd update this post with my experience. So for the past 3 months I have used an AirTag hidden on the trailer and I'm happy to report it works fine.  I am not experiencing any of the issue of the Tag beeping etc...  Note: there is a setting "Notify When Left Behind" ... I have this set to "OFF". 

I understand the limitations - 

a) that the AirTag only transmits through another Apple device but that has not been a problem anywhere that I have left the trailer... seems there's lots of Apple fruit hanging around, and

b) that it will notify a strangers iPhone if it have been around that iPhone between 24-72hrs.... so potentially the thief could be made aware there is a tracking device in their vicinity. But my view is if the trailer is not recovered in the first 24hrs, there is a high chance that it never will be and that's where insurance kicks in.

The tag is waterproof, small and easy to hide and the replaceable CR2032 battery lasts around a year. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geez I’m thankful my boat is in garage and don’t need to worry about associated costs/headaches.Remeber if anything can be made/invented it can be unmade/bypassed/switched off..High end boats like yours @zmk1962are not usually stolen by morons.We will never beat crooks all these things just deter the wanna be crooks.

Just now, zmk1962 said:

You are right @Fab1 it’s all just a deterrent. In my case I am most worried about returning from a day offshore to find the trailer has gone walkabout. That would be a major PITA. 

cheers Zoran

ps - how are you feeling?

Yeah,I understand.Everything is better than nothing you guys have mentioned as your trailer and boat for that matter ain’t cheap.Scumbags mate.I got a guy at swallow rock ramp one night pacing up and down near my boat/trailer.

I’m feeling better other than flemmy and coughing every now and then.Headaches,sore throat completely gone.