Removing epoxy from guide

lastworm

I need to get a repair done on a very special high end custom rod. The epoxy on one guide has chipped and come away, I was wondering if I can have the epoxy removed and have it re-epoxied without having to have it rewrapped?

25 minutes ago, lastworm said:

Yeah it’s nothing too fancy, just black binding with a few silver threads top and bottom.

There’s the chipped epoxy…

4DF1DD80-C7C3-4930-ABB5-182242FB8930.jpeg

Do you have to fix it? It's noticeably chipped, but should be good enough for fishing purposes, provided the guide is still in good nick.

I know you said it is a special rod though. Most of my (professional) repairs are unnoticable. Can't say the same for my DIY jobs 🤣

The chip has exposed the binding, fishing with it will expose it to water which will inevitably get in under the epoxy. Probably won’t cause an issue given I only use it in fresh water but figure I can get it done during closed bass season. 

• Like 1

Just now, zmk1962 said:

May be a silly question but if the binding is not damaged why not just reapply some epoxy? 
cheers Zoran 

I’ve been told it’ll look worse if I just attempt to backfill it with epoxy.

Plain black and a bit of silver will come out like new, simple colours like that are easy to match. I personally would just give it a "dab" of finish epoxy, but it will always be a "dab" job!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lastworm said:

I’ve been told it’ll look worse if I just attempt to backfill it with epoxy.

A “dab” job will still catch fish but if looks are the main criteria then hand over to a professional- they’ll probably use some heat to remove the existing epoxy and need to work a bigger area to blend in the fix. 
cheers Zoran 

I would be going for the dab solution. just mix some Erskines resin and apply to damages area and put rod in slow rotisserie and turn till dry.

OR bring the rod to me and I will fix it for you and put in my lathe overnight.

Frank 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, frankS said:

I would be going for the dab solution. just mix some Erskines resin and apply to damages area and put rod in slow rotisserie and turn till dry.

Frank 

Well there you go @lastworm, Frank is as good as any professional if not better !

Cheers Zoran

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank 

I might just take you up on that Frank! And of course happy to pay you for your time and materials.

I really just want to give it to someone who can be trusted and get it as close as possible to how it was before, whether thats a case of removing the guide, re binding and epoxying, or just patching up.  

It's really not that difficult, even if only one end was done, as long as the correct size thread is used, it will come out fine. It's probably worth a try removing the epoxy if you're going to remind it anyway, you have nothing to lose and you might get lucky, that said, a "dab" would be my choice, but then, I'm pretty slap happy!