Some of your favourite metal spoons/slugs?

Denisfisho

Hey all, recently I've been giving metal spoons/slugs etc a go as they cast a mile and they give me a chance at some of the bigger fish I haven't caught yet.

What are some metal spoons you enjoy to use or are your go to? 

I bought the halco streaker (https://www.halcotackle.com/products/halco-streaker/) today and got a hookup one of the first casts which I lost due to a badly done knot. Tried another spoon for the rest of the day and not even a bite.

I've tried the halco twisty but haven't had much luck.

One thing about spoons aswel is that I often get to see when the fish take a random swipe at them from the surface which is interesting to see when you were thinking the fish didnt have any interest.

I have had a lot of success with the Halco twisty. The important thing is to 'match the hatch'. The lure needs to be a similar size to the baitfish they are eating. Too big and they won't be interested. Have a look at the Spanyid Raider too. 

Edited by slowjigger
  • Like 4

I guess you should really mention what species you're chasing and whether you're fishing beach, rocks or boat etc.

A really good spoon shaped lure for salmon, tailor and many other species is the ABU Toby. They have been around for ever and a proven fish killer.

My favourite metal slug is the Surecatch Bishop that have been recently discontinued, though you may still find a few on the shelves. There's plenty of others like the Surecatch Knight, Samaki Torpedo and other fish profiles that go well.

Probably more important than the profile of the slugs you buy, is matching the the lure to the size of the baitfish you're likely to encounter. So it pays carry a range of weights/sizes.

• Like 5

Almost any "fish looking" metal for me, just vary the size to suit any baitfish, or to suit wind and casting distance required. A long skinny metal lure is one of my favourite lures, it resembles a small Garfish, and everything eats Garfish.

• Like 5

Don't overlook a barrel sinker either painted white or with white heatshrink over it. Just thread the line through and tie a trebel on. Whether you add a split ring or not is up to you.

Cast out and retrieved as fast as you can wind, they can often hook small tuna like frigates and stripies when nothing else works.

• Like 5

Thanks for the tips all, especially regarding fish profiles, matching size and the abu toby.

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Some good tips here. I fish 80-90% plastics but I always have a metal or two in my tackle box. At the moment there is a 15g twisty and some very small micro-jigs.

Where were you fishing with your Halco Streaker @Denisfisho?

I've been trying to catch a bonito, mackerel tuna or just a tailor. I believe I had hooked either a tailor or maybe aus salmon with the streaker before I lost it due to not tying the knot correctly. Always land based.

Didn't have much luck on the halco streaker in port kembla (not ideal conditions and time) but went to wollongong harbour off the breakwall with an arma chisel 14g and the gar were filthy hungry for them, they went after it again and again, if it was an assist hook on instead of the treble I would've caught many more than just the one. It also gave me a good opportunity to see which types of actions got them more hyped up (for example, doing some quick twitches made them fired up to bite).

There's just something fun about building up a tackle box with new lures.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denisfisho said:

Thanks for the tips all, especially regarding fish profiles, matching size and the abu toby.

I've been trying to catch a bonito, mackerel tuna or just a tailor. I believe I had hooked either a tailor or maybe aus salmon with the streaker before I lost it due to not tying the knot correctly. Always land based.

Didn't have much luck on the halco streaker in port kembla (not ideal conditions and time) but went to wollongong harbour off the breakwall with an arma chisel 14g and the gar were filthy hungry for them, they went after it again and again, if it was an assist hook on instead of the treble I would've caught many more than just the one. It also gave me a good opportunity to see which types of actions got them more hyped up (for example, doing some quick twitches made them fired up to bite).

There's just something fun about building up a tackle box with new lures.

Sounds fun. Did you get a photo of the fish you caught? It was probably a long tom if they were actively chasing the lure. Long toms have teeth and are often aggressive lure chasers. Often very hard to hook on lures though. Gar don't have teeth and are generally not interested in lures.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Sounds fun. Did you get a photo of the fish you caught? It was probably a long tom if they were actively chasing the lure. Long toms have teeth and are often aggressive lure chasers. Often very hard to hook on lures though. Gar don't have teeth and are generally not interested in lures.

No photo but by that description must have been long toms of which I foul hooked another today. 

Decided to buy abit heavier setup so went in and bought a cheap rod that can throw 28g lures along with two 25g Jarvis Walker twisties and headed off to the spot where everyone fishes shoulder to shoulder but are catching fish.

Don't normally fish in such crowded spots but I gave it a go and it went very nicely, the tailor were firing and even though I seemed to be the only one using lures I was luckily enough to also quickly catch two legal tailor and then headed off home.

Twisties proving themselves today and may try a halco streamer tomorrow morning.

Lets see how the wife cooks them up.

IMG-20220324-WA0003.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Denisfisho said:

No photo but by that description must have been long toms of which I foul hooked another today. 

Decided to buy abit heavier setup so went in and bought a cheap rod that can throw 28g lures along with two 25g Jarvis Walker twisties and headed off to the spot where everyone fishes shoulder to shoulder but are catching fish.

Don't normally fish in such crowded spots but I gave it a go and it went very nicely, the tailor were firing and even though I seemed to be the only one using lures I was luckily enough to also quickly catch two legal tailor and then headed off home.

Twisties proving themselves today and may try a halco streamer tomorrow morning.

Lets see how the wife cooks them up.

IMG-20220324-WA0003.jpeg

Nice job @Denisfisho. You're starting to become quite the lurer now!

Lure fishing can be challenging in crowded environments, if everyone is doing the something different. You must be doing something right!

Enjoy your meal!

• Like 1