Tie-up at a Public Jetty

LarryFine

I have just bought a runabout and would like to tie-up at a number of public jetties in my area. Boats seem to be tied up, bow first, at 90 degrees to the jetty and not alongside the jetty. When you tie up at 90 degrees what is the technique to secure the rear of the boat?

Hi I don't tie up to jetties much but IF you really need to tie bow into jetty and want the rear of the boat to NOT swing with the drift of the water I would suggest you drop an anchor 30 feet or so on the approach to the pier and let rope out as you approach the pier, tie front of boat off then slowly pull rear anchor rope till anchor is tight and tie it off .

However this may not be the best solution IF the boat beside you is not secured to stop it from swaying with the drift.

A few boats tied side by side will generally swing in unison so some well placed fenders should keep all boats safe.

Frank

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 8:16 AM, LarryFine said:

I have just bought a runabout and would like to tie-up at a number of public jetties in my area. Boats seem to be tied up, bow first, at 90 degrees to the jetty and not alongside the jetty. When you tie up at 90 degrees what is the technique to secure the rear of the boat?

How about taking a short trip to the public jetty and observing how the other guys are doing it … if you see a technique that hasn’t been discussed above please share it. 
cheers Zoran 

• 10 months later...

With the stern line, loop it at the back of the boat and run the rope all the way to the dock. Secure one end of the bow line at the very top of the boat and move its other end to the dockside. Then run a spring line from a cleat near the stern to the dock in front of your boat. You will need three on both the starboard and port sides of the vessel.

While docking in a slip enables you to secure a boat from all sides, it necessitates more ropes than simply securing it to the pier. While some slips include both cleats and pilings, others only have one. A cleat hitch is the most simple knot of all; however, you can learn to do more complex knots after you’re familiar with tying up your boat at a dock.