FG enlightenment

Little_Flatty

Hi Raiders,

I had an amazing lightbulb moment re FG knots this evening; I was doing WAY more turns than I actually needed to! Here I was reading about 30-50 turn knots when in actual fact, I seem to be able to get away with 12-14! It passes the tug test, which well exceeds the drag I set on my reel.

Discovered this tonight watching TV with a spool of old braid and a rejected piece of leader. Now I have cut my knotting time in half, I might actually use it. I had this lightbulb after watching a youtube and then realising that my improved slim beauties (which tighten on the leader using a similar 'finger trap' concept) also work ok off a tiny number of turns (as little as six).

Now the finishing of the knot is the most time consuming part!

Just putting this out there for other people who think the FG is difficult to tie but are doing more turns than necessary.

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've done 15 odd turns aswell for awhile after having a similar light bulb moment haha, i just do a weird overhand knot variation for the finish that i randomly did one day and so far has stood the test of multiple kings and 2 1m Jew 

• Like 1

Hey @Little_FlattyI think one of the big mistakes some fishos make when tying an FG is to put too many turns into the knot. Unless ALL the turns bite hard into the leader the knot can loosen when retrieving and running through the guides.

Like you, with PE 0.6 and 0.8 I find the ideal amount of turns to be 12 sets. On PE 1.5 I drop down to 8. 

When tying, I do tie my loops pretty tight and can't say I've ever had an FG fail on me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

The fellow from Pelagic Pursuits has a very good video on a FG with a similar amount of turns. He also gets some good fish so it must work.

That was actually what I was watching. I can't do exactly what he does though with the light leaders I use, but the concept of using less turns was a lightbulb moment for me.

9 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Hey @Little_FlattyI think one of the big mistakes some fishos make when tying an FG is to put too many turns into the knot. Unless ALL the turns bite hard into the leader the knot can loosen when retrieving and running through the guides.

Like you, with PE 0.6 and 0.8 I find the ideal amount of turns to be 12 sets. On PE 1.5 I drop down to 8. 

When tying, I do tie my loops pretty tight and can't say I've ever had an FG fail on me.

Thanks, good to know.

• Like 2

The amount of wraps usually depends on the line, like the lighter the line, the less wraps required. The main part also is making sure it is tight, also, for those that use hitches in the knot, the first hitch is the most important, so making sure that one is the tightest.

• Like 1